Vincent Massol wrote:

> I'm reposting in the secret hope that I got no response to this email I
> sent last week because no one saw it in the flood of Tomcat emails ! If
> I get no answer this time, I will understand that no one finds this of
> interest and will try again in 6 months - 1 year :-)
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
> ----
>
> Hi Tomcat developers,
>
> This is a proposal to bring Jakarta Tomcat and Jakarta Cactus
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus) closer. I hope you'll like it.
>
> (0) Rationale
>
> Jakarta Cactus is a unit testing framework for testing Servlet, Taglibs
> and Filters. Jakarta Tomcat is a Servlet engine (Servlet, Taglibs,
> Filters). They are both part of the Jakarta community. At the moment,
> there are no existing Servlet container that have an easy way to unit
> test Servlets. The idea is to bring this ease of use to Tomcat by making
> it easy to use Cactus within Tomcat (in other words, add a unit testing
> service to Tomcat).
>
> (1) Scope of the proposal
>
> a) To bundle Cactus within Tomcat so that it provides a unique ease of
> use for Tomcat users who wishes to test their servlet code
> b) To make Cactus the official Tomcat test framework for end users
>
> (1) From the point of view of Tomcat users
>
> By providing the bundling defined in point (2) below, Tomcat end users
> would only have to do the following to test their code (see
> http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_tomcat.html, steps 4 to 6) :
>
> a) Create Cactus test classes in their WEB-INF/classes directory
> b) Open a browser and type the URL of the Cactus test runner, passing
> the name of the test class (see the link above for details)
>
> (2) Cactus bundling in Tomcat
>
> "Bundling" Cactus in Tomcat means (see steps 1 to 3 on the above link) :
>
> a) Adding the following jars to common/lib : cactus.jar, junit.jar,
> httpclient.jar, aspectjrt.jar (total of 423 KB)
> b) Adding the Cactus servlet test runner and redirector servlet and
> mappings in conf/web.xml
>
> (3) Versions
>
> The target Tomcat version for this proposal is 4.0 and greater. The
> Cactus one is 1.4 and greater (note that Cactus 1.4 is not released yet
> and is still in CVS - It can be downloaded from the nightly build).
>
> Comments, ideas ?

A good idea. Weæve already seen (or at least others have) integration of Ant
into Tomcat for WebApp deployment. This would be another step in the right
direction.

I know that we, common users/admins/developers, can slap it all together
ourselves, but it would be nice if someone with "greater vision" would outline
the proper way and do it.

Nix.