JAVA_HOME should be set as c:\jdk1.3 not c:\jdk1.3\bin
Hamish

-----Original Message-----
From: siva murugan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help me

Sir/Madam,

 Fine and expect the same from U and all.

 Iam SivaMurugan from INDIA. Just minutes back i
downloaded jakarta-tomcat-4.0-20020530.zip from
http://jakarta.apache.org site.

 I tried my first servlet file in the name of
admin.java . I created the file and stored in the
directory of
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\webapps\Root\WEB-INF . I
compiled using javadoc and i got the admin.class file
without any error, on my first attempt. To be frank i
was really feeeling great , since its my first time
downloading and running a program on an webserver.
Before that i set the classpath. I am using windows
2000 server. So i set the classpath in
MyComputer/Properties/SystemProperties/Advanced/Environmet
Variables/SystemVariables. Actually i set the
classpath as
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\common\lib\servlet.jar;c:\jdk1.3\bin;

 Now tried to run the Tomcatwebserver from the
directory c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\bin\startup and
unfortunately i couldn't do that. Its showing the
following error.

 The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
 This environment Variable is needed to run this
program
 Using CATALINA_BASE:  ..
 Using CATALINA_HOME:  ..
 Using CATALINA_TEMPDIR:  ..\temp
 Using JAVA_HOME:
 The System cannot find the file
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=.

So i tried to set the JAVA_HOME enviroment variable as
c:\jdk1.3\bin; Then i tried again, now also iam
getting the same error. What wrong? Please help me..

 Iam using
                JAVA VERSION 1.3.01
                JAVA(TM)2 RUN TIMEENVIRONMENT, STANDARD EDITION
(BUILD          1.3.01)
                JAVA HOTSPOT(TM) CLIENT VM (BUILD 1.3.01, MIXED
MODE)

 Waiting for a +ive and immediate mail from U
Sir/Madam.

Love,
Siva