If you follow the instructions (and use therefor ant to build the
mod_jk) from the jk directory, you should have adjusted the
build.properties file.
I couldn't get it running either, since the jni_md.h include file could
not be found. While investigating the jk/native/build.xml file, I found
that it checks for (in my case) the linux property.
Just set linux=true in your build.properties and it will build fine ;)
If it doesn't build for you anyway (using linux, not SCO), follow the
instructions is the docs directory, which provide pretty detailed on how
to build in manually.
The builds will end up in jk/build.
If it still doesn't work for you, you can try sending the error on which
it failed (i guess it is the include..)..

Mvgr,
Martin