To use Apache's authentication, you must update the
Ajp13Connector to set "tomcatAuthentication" false in
your server.xml (it defaults true), i.e.:

        <Ajp13Connector port="8009" tomcatAuthentication="false" />

There is a little bit of documentation concerning this
in the server.xml, above the Ajp13Connector element.  You can
find a little more documentation here:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/serverxml.html#Ajp13Connector>

Once tomcatAuthentication is set false, any security constraints in
web.xml files will no longer work.  This probably won't impact
your web applications, but the "security" examples will stop
functioning.

Cheers,
Larry