I use bugseeker 1.0.2 for Java2:
http://www.karmira.com/products/bugseeker2/

I created a new environment variable:

JPDA_FLAGS = -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000

Then I created a Tomcat Service which I use exclusively for debugging:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -install Apache-Catalina-JPDA
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
-Djava.class.path=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME% %JPDA_FLAGS% %CATALINA_OPTS% -Xrs -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params start -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params stop -out
%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stdout.log -err %CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

I am able to attach to the socket using bugseeker's remote debugging.  You
should be able to do the same in JSwat.

If you want to use bugseeker and want a project that is set up to work
properly to debug Tomcat servlets, send me a personal email and I'll send
you the project file.

Jake