This is a code red worm attack or something, when you map /* to tomcat (
as in my first response to your questions ), then all the requests
without context are redirected to tomcat, hence you see i_r.dll refusing
to map that bad request, and you see the result in logs..

if you use the second mapping proposed (/*.jsp) you'll not see any logs
about this, because tomcat will not see this requests.. and will not log
anything..

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega