On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 07:33:33PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> <snip>
> > Apache does not need J2SDK or JRE to function.  It has nothing to do with
> > java.
>
> Which of the 2 machines do I install mod_jk on :
> (1) on the web-server (Apache)   or
> (2) on the app-server (Tomcat)   or
> (3) both ???
>
> I remember one of the many doco's mentioned Apache and mod_jk , but I
> can't find that one again.
>
> I am getting so frustrated following instructions on the doco's at the
> moment because :
> (1) to get Apache to talk to Tomcat , I need mod_jk
> (1.1) ... Apache 1.3.16 is too old, build 2.0.4
> (2) to install mod_jk , I need ANT
> (2.2) ... and no, I haven't got "libtoolize" !

You probably need to install the developer package, or build on a machine
that does.

> (3) to get ANT working I need the whole j2sdk1.4.0 kit and kaboodle...

So, why don't you build mod_jk on the machine that will run Tomcat and
then ftp/scp the mod_jk.so file over to your apache box?  You will have
to do this anyway for the mod_jk.conf file that Tomcat will automagically
create for you.

Kent