This is the same problem i had and the patched solved it( i did not had to
add allowlinking to the server.xml file)
I just tried the same scenario you had mentioned beneath.
I made symbolic link to class
${TOMCAT_HOME}/home/sys/jsp/WEB-INF/classes/Test.class -> ~piavka/servlets/Test.class
and it works. I works also then i copy the Test.class instead of
linking(which obviously should)

 Are you shure you aplied the patch properly?
 If you want i can send you my patched ${TOMCAT_HOME}/common/lib/naming-resources.jar