Rodrigo Ruiz wrote:
I think the idea of letting Apache directly access to the files into the
webapp is interesting. This way there is no need to replicate the static
content for Apache, and Apache will be faster serving all static content
than Tomcat.
True, but bothersome to maintain.

But, at least in my experience, static files tend to be localized. Probably,
a better approach would be to configure Apache to access some subdirectories
into the webapp, such as /images and /js directories if they exist. If you
mantain dynamic files separated from static ones, this task will be even
easier. This way, you can let Apache serve your static content without
compromising security, and without replicating files.
That way a web-app is encapsulated and Apache still gets to do it's job. The best thing would be if the connector would be able to do this auto-magically - that is, to create aliases in Apache for this kind of access, instead of having the Apache admin create these mappings every time a new web-app is installed.

Nix.