Have you checked the log files to see if there is a reason as to why the app could not
be started?

-----Original Message-----
From: Price, Erik [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Donnerstag, 21. November 2002 14:43
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: webapp fails to start using /manager & "start" command

Hello,

I checked the archives for this but couldn't find the answer to my problem.  I created
a new webapp yesterday and put it into the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory.  From
this list I learned that it is possible to have a webapp recognized by restarting
Tomcat *OR* by adding a <Context> node into $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml that points
to the path of the webapp.  Since I do not have root access on this server, I cannot
change root-owned files and have asked my system administrator to restart Tomcat for
me, to get my webapp recognized.

He sent me an email saying that he gave me access to the "manager" webapp, which I
have studied from the HOWTO in the documentation.  I understand how to use it, but I
cannot get my webapp to "start".  Is it possible to get a webapp to start (for the
very first time) from the "manager" webapp?  Or does Tomcat really need to be
restarted completely?

When I list the webapps on the server using

http://domainname:8080/manager/list

I can see a list of the webapps that are recognized, including my webapp.  But all of
the other webapps are listed as "running", and my own webapp looks like this:

/epricetest:stopped:0

So I thought that I might have to start the webapp using the "start" command, so I try
this:

http://domainname:8080/manager/start?path=/epricetest

But the error message I receive when I try this is

FAIL - Application at context path /epricetest could not be started

This does not match any of the error messages detailed in the "manager" app HOWTO, so
I am unsure of what is causing the problem.  Could it be that to start a webapp for
the very first time, Tomcat must really be restarted?  (In which case, there is no way
to do it without bugging my system administrator again?)

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Erik