From: Steve Russell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 1:55 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Problems running Tomcat from command line

Hi;

I'm reposting this, hoping that this version is more clear.
------

I'm on Windows 2000 using Tomcat 3.2.4 ( not my choice ).

I can start tomcat by double clicking the startup.bat file in
C:\TOMCAT\bin.

However, I can't start tomcat programmatically by typing "startup.bat"
or "startup" ( without quotes ) from a dos prompt that is in
C:\TOMCAT\bin

I have tried running C:\TOMCAT\bin directly. It complains that it is
out of environment space ( how do you set that in win 2000 ) AND
that it cant find C:\TOMCAT\lib\servlet.jar

Its there.

Here are the Windows 2000 environmental variables I have set for
"system":

CLASSPATH:
..;C:\W2Kimage_c\cygwin\home\steve\Projects\Classes;C:\TOMCAT\
lib\servlet.jar

PATH:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
%SystemRoot%\system32\nls;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls\English;C:
JDK\bin;C:\ProgramFiles\GnuEmacs21.2\bin;C:\ProgramFiles;C:\PR
OGRA~1\ULTRAE~1;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;

JAVA_HOME:
C:\JDK

TOMCAT_HOME
C:\TOMCAT

Thanks in advance for any clues

Steve

". . . / This Cabinet is formd of Gold / And Pearl & Crystal shining bright
And within it opens into a World / . . .
Another England there I saw / Another London with its Tower
Another Thames & other Hills / And another pleasant Surrey Bower
. . ."
- from "The Crystal Cabinet", a poem by William Blake.