you can not have any class in /common/lib that needs to access a class in
/WEB-INF/lib because /common is shared between all webapps. When trying to
find a class, the classloader will query up the classloader heirarchy, but
not down. See the classloader doc which explains this in more detail.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Charlie