Howdy,
We have some tomcat instances that restart nightly from a crontab,
without a problem.  They're all tomcat 4.0.6-LE on Solaris 2.8.  None
use apache as the front end.  None run as root.  Each runs as its own
user, and the restart job is in that user's crontab.  We've had no
problems with this setup.  What does the cron output email say when you
have problems?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Or