Denise --

> ...  This team includes members that I know for a fact are capable
> of maintaining other technologies.

How do the other team members feel about this? Are you trying to sell
both them and management at the same time?

> > If you know C and/or Perl (I assume you would choose one of these to write
> your CGI app) PHP is not hard to pick up. ...
>
> Honestly,  I don't.  I toyed with CGI scripts (Perl) for a fake website I
> made for a course a year ago, and that is the extent of my experience with
> it.  While I don't doubt that I can learn it enough, if not more, to
> complete the project, it is definitely not my preference.  And judging by
> the responses I've received so far it is not the way to go.

Well, anyone who can write Perl can write PHP. (And anyone who writes
bad Perl will likely write bad PHP.) There would be no learning curve to
go to PHP.

Well, almost none. Hashes and arrays are not as visible, and some people
will get their backs up about that. Mod_php does induce some style
changes. The object syntax is different, but who of your development
team has ever touched a Perl object? (And they should, before the make
too many decisions.)

And speaking of modern perl, have they spent much time nosing around
perl.org? Are they aware of Perl6 and Parrot and the changes coming down
the pike? Good stuff, but they do need to be aware of it if they plan to
go with Perl.

Perhaps your managers should read a book called _Perl_for_the_Web_, by a
guy named Radcliffe. He does promote Perl as a basis for solutions, but
his explanation of why CGI does not work in production should be
understandable by your managers. He also provides some direction about
where to head when they discover that their collection of scripts has
become unmanageable.

A few more facts should help them make better decisions, at any rate.

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>