I just set up Tomcat to work as a JNDI source for DB connections.
Following the how-to instructions, it worked very easily.  This seems to
be a very sane way to manage a db connection pool.  However, before I go
crazy and change all of my web app code to use JNDI instead of the way
they are currently working, I am wondering, are there any drawbacks to
this?  Is this the best way to go?  If later on I want to use some of
these packages not in Tomcat, how hard is it to set up a JNDI context
outside of Tomcat?