Here is a little servlet I threw together for you.  You will have to change
the variable "url" to fit your database connection string and the "password"
variable.  Besides that, it should work for you.  Let me know what the
output is and I'll try to help if it doesn't work.  Thanks,
Kenny

import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class OracleTest extends HttpServlet
{
response)
      throws ServletException, IOException
   {
      // Initialize variables.
      Connection myConnection = null;
      Statement myStatement = null;
      String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oracle:1521:oracle";
      String username = "system";
      String password = "xxxxxx";
      ResultSet myResultSet = null;

      // Set up output.
      response.setContentType("text/html");
      PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

      try
      {
         // Load (and therefore register) the Oracle Driver.
         Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

         // Get a connection to the database.
         myConnection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, username,
password);

         // Create a statement object.
         myStatement = myConnection.createStatement();

         // Execute a SQL query...get a result set.
         String sql = "SELECT * FROM DBA_USERS";
         myResultSet = myStatement.executeQuery(sql);

         // Output HTML header.
         out.println("<html><body>");

         if (myResultSet.next())
         {
            // Result good.
            out.println("IT WORKED!");
         }
         else
         {
            // Result bad.
            out.println("IT FAILED!");
         }

         // Output HTML footer.
         out.println("</BODY></HTML>");
      }
      catch (ClassNotFoundException cnfe)
      {
         // Output exception.
         out.println("Couldn't load database driver: " + cnfe.getMessage());
      }
      catch (SQLException sqle)
      {
         // Output exception.
         out.println("SQLException caught: " + sqle.getMessage());
      }
   }
}