From: Jacques Capesius [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 9:31 AM
To: 'Tomcat'
Subject: [beginner question] reloading classes

Hi folks,

I'm new to Tomcat, but not as new to J2EE. I have a jsp, and I made a change
to a class that's being loaded into it as a bean, but I can't get the page
to use the new class and not the old one.

My question, thus, is: when I make changes to a class, how do I get Tomcat
to reload the class?

Restarting Tomcat doesn't seem to do the trick.

Searching the web, I found a doc that made mention that "touching" the
web.xml file would force the reloading of the class. I tried that and it
didn't work.

I also read somewhere that going to the application (where the JSPs are) and
typing ANT would force the recompile of everything. Still, the old class is
being used.

I'm storing the class in %catalina_home%/classes/PSQ/. I'm loading it into
the jsp by means of the following line of code:

<jsp:useBean id="psq" class="PSQ.PSQ" scope="session"/>

I've made sure there are no other versions of PSQ.class in any other places
it might be used, for example, the WEB-INF/classes directory.

Thanks for whatever advice you can give, and I apologize if this question
has been asked many times before.

-jacques :)

Jacques Capesius
CNT Web Marketing Developer