The NT/2000 service is configured through the registry, hence doesn't
taker notice of CATALINA_OPTS etc

Try looking in the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat
4.0\Parameters

The 4.1 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat
4.1\Parameters
so I'm guessing/rembering the 4.0 is as above

anyway, if you hunt around under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services I'm sure you'll
find it.

You'll see various JVM Options for things like classpath, endorsed
directories etc

On my installation the classpath is specified under
JVM Option Number 0

Hope this helps