Howdy,
I'm not doing this, and I'm one of those people who cleans their cache
every time their browser is closed (12Ghosts auto wash is among the
greatest tools I've ever seen for any computing purpose, ever), so
Remember Me functionality doesn't typically work for me, but...

>Is anyone doing this at all?  And if so how?

Assuming remember me is a checkbox, e.g.
<input type="checkbox" name="rememberUser">Remember Me</input>

Then something like:
String rememberUserString = request.getParameter("rememeberUser");
if((rememebrUserString != null) &&
   (rememeberUserString.equalsIgnoreCase("true")) {
     //  Create cookie
     Cookie userInfoCookie = new Cookie(...);
     response.addCookie(userInfoCookie);
}

Then other pages in the app attempt to retrieve the cookie (using
request.getCookies() and iterating through the cookies.  You can
retrieve the information in a fairly cross-browser, server-independent
way.

You can also set attributes in the session
(HttpSession.setAttribute("myUserName", username) or whatever) or do it
in many other ways.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.