From: Sandra Patricia Hunter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 3:55 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Getting pretty far off topic here

Here's some more info:

One database, several tables (about twenty).

The tables hold information about someone who uses the card, a
cardholder.

Each card has a particular type.

Each card type uses different information, for example one card type may
need the cardholder's name and address, while another may only need to
know
their number.

For the user (not to be confused with the cardholder) to use the system
they
need to be able to work with each kind of card and ONLY the data that is
relevant to that card.

The user also needs to be able to add new card types that use particular
data. This is why I think I need to store the information about which
fields
are relevant in a standard way. As new cards are added there needs to be
process in place for storing the information about that card.

I don't know what a rule processor or a rules engine is.

My sense is that this is not a really complicated problem just one that
needs a fiendishly clever and simple solution. That's all ;).

Sandra Patricia Hunter
Systems Development and Web Design