Depending on your needs if you just need UP or down, you can use wget or a similar agent.

You can also set CATALINA_PID in unix before calling the startup scripts and the file referenced by CATALINA_PID will contain the process ID.

Or you can write a LifeCycle Listener to trap startup and shutdown events.

-Tim

Francisco J. Bido wrote:
Is there any way to assess Tomcat's state via an environment variable? For example, I would like to poll an environment variable to see if Tomcat is:

1. starting up
2. running
3. shutting down
4. stopped

There're a bunch of other states out there but the above fulfill my immediate needs.

Parsing through the catalina.out log file is the only way I know how to do this but this is approach is way too clumsy and ugly.

Thanks!
-FB