> always perform such a lookup successfully, but when I try from a
> ContextListener contextInitialized method it fails: the same code WILL
> NOT FAIL contextDestroyed !!!

Hmmm, odd. This is *exactly* what I do pretty much. I have a
LifeCycleListener specified in the webapps/<app>/WEB-INF/web.xml like this:

  <listener>
        <listener-class><my.foo.bar.package>.LifeCycleListener</listener-class>
  </listener>

and then in the contextInitialized method of the LifeCycleListener I do a
bunch of calls to jndiContext.lookup().

Hmm, hmmm, hmmm. You are correctly specifying the listener in web.xml?