> ok, there is a webapps directory, inside is a very
> dirs, examples, ROOT etc.
>
> the normal root page loads up and I can get to the
> examples, the confusion starts here, the ROOT houses
> the index.jsp, but the examples are not UNDER ROOT
> they are a different dir back one in webapps.
>
> WHEN I add a jsp page into the root it works fine

Basically, a JSP/Servlet container is a collection of virtual hosts (default
installation holds "localhost" as default). A virtual host is a collection of web
applications, also known as "Contexts" under Tomcat. "ROOT", "examples" and
"tomcat-docs" are separate web applications and can reside ANYWHERE on the disk. Your
server.xml file will specify *which* contexts exist and under what path they are
mapped for their VHost. Take a closer look there.

This, of course, is for standard HTTP connectors. If you're gonna play with
mod_jk/mod_jk2/mod_webapp in order to connect Apache and Tomcat then the story still
holds true, but you need to setup Apache, too.

So, comming down from PHP can be a bit confusing, I know. With PHP, the whole VHost
was one big web application. While that may seam flexible, it is also a magnet for bad
design and misuse. "A new web application? Oh, lets just make a quick one." - repeat
that 5 times and you'll have a mess. :-)

Nix.