I modified my init method as suggested by Yoav.
The new init() and its output are shown below.

The addresses printed are different so it appears I have two instances of my servlet. Bill said that "instance-pooling for STM Servlets" is normal behaviour.

I was expecting that, since I am the only person calling the servlet, only one instance would be created and initialised. I guess Tomcat is being clever and getting a second one ready just in case it is needed.

Where can I learn about this behaviour and get control over the number of instances created?

        public void init()
        //****************
        {
                System.out.println("init called "+toString());
                System.out.println("init call 2 "+toString());
                return;
        }

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.4