> I can now access the servlet successfully using the url
> "http://192.168.1.3/test/hello";.  The problem is, I need to be able to
> access it without supplying any path information (ie:
> http://192.168.1.3).
>
> So the question now is, how can server.xml and web.xml be
> configured to
> allow access without any paths?  BTW, this does work in
> earlier versions of
> Tomcat so I would like the think it is still doable.

Ok, this has taken us a long way just to start from the beginning ;-)

You might want to change your web.xml to something like

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>helloworld.Hello</servlet-class>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.gif</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.jpg</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

My first thought was to apply a pattern like
<url-pattern>/images/*</url-pattern> to map the entire image folder to
default but that did not work. Maybe I am too dumb or I am completely
missing something ;-? Somebody please give me a hint!

However, another approach that has been suggested by another poster is to
employ some filter for your request processing. Thus, you can take care of
every incoming request and dispatch it as needed.

-Stefan