** Summary changed:

- ULLTS 22,24: FontConfig broken by including ".conf" file
+ ULTS 22,24: FontConfig broken by including ".conf" file

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  ULTS 22,24: FontConfig broken by including ".conf" file

Status in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu:

  This happens to me on both ULTS 22 and ULKTS 24 on FotnConfig in
  somewhat different ways:

  * In ULTS 24 if there is a file '/etc/fonts/local.conf' then all fonts
  are rendered as if the font were not hinted or 'hinting' were 'false'.
  This is not noticeable if antialiasing is on, and most users default
  to antialiasing.

  * In ULTS 22 if there is a file
  '$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf' then some fonts are no longer
  found, or get rendered with rectangular shapes. I guess not many users
  customize their font settings.

  A telling example from ULTS 22:

  $  cat /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-antialias.conf
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
  <fontconfig>
  <!--  Use the Antialiasing -->
    <match target="pattern">
    </match>
  </fontconfig>
  $  cp -p /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-antialias.conf
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf
  $  fc-list 'dejavu sans mono' family
  $  rm $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf
  $  fc-list 'dejavu sans mono' family
  DejaVu Sans Mono

  This happens also with a skeleton
  '$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf' (or '/etc/fonts/local.conf')
  too:

  $  cat > $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
  <fontconfig>
  </fontconfig>
  $  fc-list 'dejavu sans mono' family
  $  rm $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf
  $  fc-list 'dejavu sans mono' family
  DejaVu Sans Mono

  None of these anomalies happen under ULST 20.

  My impression: symptoms vary and are weird, so probably it is
  something like a buffer overflow when reading the ".conf" files or the
  use of not-initialized memory.