Public bug reported:

[Impact]

In order to provide ubuntu-fan we need to maintain additional kernel
SAUCE patches that are currently conflicting with upstream code,
potentially breaking networking eBPF APIs.

To prevent such incompatibility the whole patch set requires a major
redesign.

However, after investigations and a detailed assessment we have not
found any relevant real-world use-case that still requuires ubuntu-fan,
as most of its features are now available in the upstream kernel and
user-space tools, using alternative solutions.

Moreover, maintaining ubuntu-fan is also slowing down / preventing the
development of other packages (see for example LP: #2051672).

Therefore, we are proposing to deprecate ubuntu-fan starting with noble.

[Test case]

We have ubuntu-fan test cases in our regression testing suite. Such
tests are expected to fail with the noble kernel, so we can hint/disable
them in Noble.

[Fix]

Drop (do not apply) the ubuntu-fan SAUCE patch set from the Ubuntu
kernel.

[Regression potential]

There are still some existing tools/systems that may still rely on
ubuntu-fan, so we may experience regressions when such systems are
moving to noble. However, the potential of breaking eBPF networking has
a much higher impact, so we can probably workaround any potential
ubuntu-fan regression using alternative upstream solutions.

** Affects: iproute2 (Ubuntu)

** Affects: iproute2 (Ubuntu Noble)

** Also affects: iproute2 (Ubuntu Noble)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  deprecate ubuntu-fan in Noble

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in iproute2 source package in Noble: