> (The line between PIE and dynamic linking confuses even me.  How does
> static PIE relocate itself?

It may not.  It could get relocated by in-kernel ASLR or the like.
Also, I think PIE isn't relevant, or certainly isn't _as_ relevant, to
the final executable; my impression is that it's more important for
library code, so it doesn't need fixups.  These are less important for
static executables, since the fixups there happen once, at link time,
whereas for a .so the fixups happen at runtime and reduce the
text-segment sharing that is one of the benefits of shared objects.

> Luckily X11 has "detach and restart" plumbing that lets it reopen a
> process's network pipe without killing the window or the process,

...?  When did it grow that, and where can I find out more about it?

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mo...@rodents-montreal.org