does anybody know which is the difference between milestones and versions? Initially I thought a milestone was composed by many versions...it is not very clear.
Is there anybody who can help me?

I don't know if this is the *official* distinction, but we use milestones and versions in the following way.

- A milestone is created for each future version of the software we intend to release. This includes bug fix releases as well as major planned versions.

- When a bug is found and a ticket is created, we set the version field to the version of our product in which the bug was discovered. This is later updated if the bug was found to have been introduced in an earlier version.

- If a ticket is created for an enhancement or task (i.e. anything other than a bug) then the version field is left empty.

- Periodically I set the milestones of all tickets to be the version (s) in which we expect the bugs to be fixed or features to be introduced.

- When we tag a new release the milestone is marked as completed and we then add the version of the new release to the version list in Trac (so that bugs can be filed against that version). A new milestone is then created for the next release in that branch.

Hope this helps!

--
Steve Webster
Head of Development