Thanks Tim (and Christian) for the replies.

Yes, you're correct. I'm running Apache with passenger under ubuntu 10.04
LTS. I checked what user the various passenger and rail processes were
running under and a few of them were "nobody". I checked the permissions
again and realised that the /var/tracks folder that's the root to my
virtual host in apache had root as owner rather than www-data. The one
folder i'd missed...

Changing that and deleting the -cache files in public has brought tracks
back to life for me.

my next job is to try again with my real tracks database...

So far, this upgrade (including the addition of bundle) hasn't been at all
easy for someone like me who is technical, but not a ruby guy!

/James