Otto J. Makela wrote:
> John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> Until recently I used only CentOS_5/i686 and saw no noticeable picture
>> corruption.  Now I also use fc10/x86_64, and on this system I do see
>> corruption - small transient rectangles - when shrinkage has been applied.
>>
>> So it seems to me that tcrequant is *not* broken on all platforms and I
>> would not like it to disappear globally unless, of course, there is a
>> reliable and effective alternative.
>
> I've also had my share of problems with tcrequant.

>> I thought it might be useful to add a note that the download from the
>> company that posted the initial version of this requantiser now has a
>> source date for 'main.c' of January 2008. I'm not confident that I could
>> rebuild it immediately for my system, but others may not have seen it. It's
>> GPL. http://metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/modules.html
>
> Compilation on a x86_64 system worked for me (with minor tweaks,
> seems they aren't prepared for the system to be anything but a ppc or i386).
> It does seem to work!

I spake too soon. Unfortunately both tcrequant and M2VRequantiser seem to work
with _some_ files, but not others.

Can anyone here run a test on the video clip of a few seconds found at:
http://www.otto.net/~otto/requant-sample.tar.gz (3.7MiB) and see if tcrequant
and/or M2VRequantiser is able to do the job for you?
I've included pictures of the garbage I get with both of them.

--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 42 7655772, ICBM: 60N 25E */