I propose to allow the py bindings to take unicode as input.
I made a quick simple change which works for me, however I am relying on:
* PyString_AsString: converts unicode python strings into the multi byte string
format that TRE uses (i.e. the current locale), for me this works but don't
know if this is standard across all platforms.
* If TRE was compiled without multi byte string support my suggestion below
fails, how to tackle this case? (i.e. provide two search functions or bake them
together)

function: PyTrePattern_search
file: tre-python.c

line: 341
current:   if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "SO!|i:match", &pstring,
&TreFuzzynessType,
propose: if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "UO!|i:match", &pstring, &TreFuzzynessType,

The call to PyString_AsString (line 363) will then (accoding to spec) convert
the Unicode into a multi byte string (using the default encoding)

Regards
Julien