Hello Joe,

Japan and any protection requirements on telecom equipment, here are
several resources that you might find helpful.

The Colorado Lightning Research Center focuses mostly on lightning in
the U.S.A., but their Web site shows a map of lightning incidence
worldwide.  This map shows Japan as having lightning incidence of
around 8-20 flashes/sq km/year (if I am interpreting their map correctly),
which is similar to the midwestern U.S.A. or southern Canada.
See:  http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg.html

The National Lightning Safety Institute also has a map showing
lightning strike regions in Japan, with data on the average number of
thunderstorms per year at:
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/lightningmaps/JPNghtning.html

You might also check out the Web site of the Society of Atmospheric
Electricity of Japan at:
http://lightning.pwr.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/saej/e_index.html

NTT (Japan) standardization activities are discussed in their "NTT
Review" periodical.  It seems to me that this might be a place where
research on lightning effects on telecom equipment in Japan might be
reported.  The NTT Review is available on the web at:
http://www.ntt.co.jp/RD/Enindex.html

Hope you find these helpful.

Best regards,

  -- Scott Roleson

 Scott Roleson, PE   (MS-61U74) |  E-mail: srole...@ieee.org
 Telecom & EMC Engineer         |  http://www.roleson.com
 Corporate External Standards   |  Telephone: +1-858-655-4809
 Hewlett-Packard Company        |  FAX:       +1-858-655-5931
 16399 W. Bernardo Drive        |  Amateur Radio:  KC7CJ
 San Diego, CA  92127-1899  USA |  Any opinions are my own, not HP's.