Paul/Scott,

To the best of my knowledge, ANATEL has been considering the refusal of
foreign test reports for use in homologating telecom equipment.  On July 15,
ANATEL sent a memorandum to all of the certifying organizations ordering
them to temporarily halt the issuance of certificates based on foreign test
reports. This is inconsistent with ANATEL's MoU with ILAC.

The certifying organizations in Brazil (OCDs) have signed a petition asking
ANATEL to reverse its decision.  However, it would be very useful if
manufacturers and foreign laboratories would write a letter in support of
the petition.

Below is a sample letter. I ask that you write a similar letter and get
others in the industry to do so also.

Roger Magnuson
Managing Director
TGC Communication AB
Industrivagen 5, 171 48 Solna
SWEDEN
TEL: +46 856250053 (direct)
FAX: +46 856250055
mobile: +46 707770594
mailto:ro...@tgc.se
internet: http://www.tgc.se

[date]

ANATEL – Agência Nacional de Telecomunicações
Attn: Mr.Luiz Guilherme Schymura de Oliveira
Presidente do Conselho Diretor
SAUS Q.06 BL. E e H
CEP. 70070-940   Brasília/DF - Brasil
Fax:  (011-55-61) 312-2002

RE: Acceptance of Test Reports from Foreign ILAC approved Labs

Dear Sirs/Mdms:

It has come to my attention that as of July 15, 2002, ANATEL has asked OCDs
in Brazil to suspend the grant of certificates that are supported by test
reports from foreign labs accredited by ILAC members.  This surprising
development is an unfortunate one in that it will undoubtedly cause
significant delays in obtaining approvals and significantly add to the
expense of obtaining approvals.

In many cases, manufacturers work closely with their Brazilian distributors
to find customers who need the products that they can offer.  Often, these
deals are very time and price sensitive.   In some cases, the new rules on
testing could destroy these deals and even cause smaller manufactures to
withdraw from the market.  This could lead to a smaller choice of products
and higher prices for Brazilian consumers and businesses.  Manufacturers are
more than willing to comply with Brazilian regulatory requirements as they
can lead to security for both manufacturers and their customers, but, the
requirements must be reasonable.

It is my understanding that INMETRO, as an ILAC member and representing the
Brazilian Government, had signed an MRA with ILAC on November 2, 2000, and
that as part of the agreement, that ANATEL has been accepting foreign test
reports in support of homologation petitions.  I urge ANATEL to return to
this policy as soon as possible.

Sincerely,