WELCOME TO IWPR’S TRIBUNAL UPDATE No. 546, April 11, 2008

HAS HARADINAJ ACQUITTAL BOOSTED SERBIAN RADICALS?  Analysts claim verdict could
undermine tribunal cooperation by Belgrade and reduce chances of fugitives
being arrested.  By Aleksandar Roknic in Belgrade

SUVA REKA TRIAL IN TROUBLE  Reports of delays and witness intimidation
overshadow trial of Serbs accused of war crimes against ethnic Albanians.  By
Milos Teodorovic in Belgrade

COURTSIDE:

COURT HEARS DELIC LACKED CONTROL  General’s former bodyguard testifies that
rogue units did not obey commands from army headquarters.  By Denis Dzidic in
Sarajevo

COURT TOLD KRAJINA SUFFERED “SYSTEMATIC CAMPAIGN” OF DESTRUCTION  Witness says
Croat general had the power to prevent war crimes there.  By Simon Jennings in
The Hague

WITNESS DESCRIBES FINDING DEAD FATHER  He says he identified his body days
after Croatian army assault on their village.  By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

BRIEFLY NOTED:

JUDGES SAY STANISIC FIT FOR TRIAL  Former Milosevic aide deemed fit enough for
trial in spite of physical and mental health problems.  By Simon Jennings in
The Hague

**** IWPR RESOURCES

NEW PUBLICATION: SYRIA PRESS MONITOR To find out more or subscribe to RSS feed
please go to: http://iwpr.net/syriapressmonitor.html

SAHAR JOURNALISTS’ ASSISTANCE FUND To find out more or donate please go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/sahar.html

COALITION FOR INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE (CIJ) TRIAL REPORTS ARCHIVE Milosevic and
other ICTY Trial Reports as well as Sierra Leone Reports are now available at
<http://iwpr.net/?apc_state=hen&s=c>

NOW AVAILABLE IN FRENCH: Reporting Justice: A Handbook on Covering War Crimes
Courts. Part I: http://iwpr.net/pdf/reporting_justice_p1_w_fr.pdf; Part II:
http://iwpr.net/pdf/reporting_justice_p2_w_fr.pdf

**** www.iwpr.net
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

GIVE TO IWPR: IWPR is wholly dependent upon grants and donations. For more
information about how you can support IWPR go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/donate.html

**** www.iwpr.net

HAS HARADINAJ ACQUITTAL BOOSTED SERBIAN RADICALS?

Analysts claim verdict could undermine tribunal cooperation by Belgrade and
reduce chances of fugitives being arrested.

By Aleksandar Roknic in Belgrade

The acquittal of Kosovo’s former prime minister of war crimes charges last week
could strengthen support for radical parties at Serbia’s parliamentary
elections next month, say analysts.

They also believe it would now be harder for the Serbian government to justify
handing over four remaining war crimes fugitives to the court – a crucial step
if Serbia wants closer ties with the European Union.

Ramush Haradinaj, a former commander of the Kosovo Liberation Army, KLA, was
cleared of charges of torture, murder, rape and deportation, with judges ruling
that there had been no deliberate campaign to kill Serb civilians in Kosovo.
One co-defendant, Idriz Balaj, was also acquitted, while a third, Lahij
Brahimaj, was sentenced to six years in prison.

The judgment has already provoked anger in Serbia, with officials calling it “a
mockery of justice”.

Former Serbian justice minister Vladan Batic said his ministry sent the
tribunal 200,000 documents about Haradinaj and other members of the KLA accused
of war crimes in Kosovo.

“In these documents, there were many victim and witness statements, several war
diaries of KLA leaders and reports from Serbian judicial institutions that led
to several hundred charges against Haradinaj,” said Batic.

However, in a statement, Haradinaj’s lawyers pointed out, “There was no
evidence against [Haradinaj] either personally or as a member of a joint
criminal enterprise as alleged by the prosecution.”

“It [was] clear from the evidence of prosecution witnesses, that far from
having behaved in a criminal fashion, Mr Haradinaj had at all times acted to
prevent wrong-doing and to protect civilian lives,” continued the statement,
published on a website set up by Haradinaj’s defence.

While Serbia's National Council for Cooperation with the Hague tribunal said
that it would appeal against the judgement at the United Nations, it insisted
the decision would not stop Serbia working with the tribunal.

"It's important for Serbia that we continue to cooperate, despite the Haradinaj
verdict,” council chairman Rasim Ljajic told Beta news agency this week.
However, he said arresting war crimes fugitives could now be more difficult as
police might be less motivated to do their job.

Dusan Ignjatovic, director of the council’s office, said the verdict would
certainly harm relations between Belgrade and the Hague court. “This verdict
united the Serbian public against the tribunal… I think the verdict in this
case is one they won’t be proud of in the future, and it won’t help the peace
and reconciliation process in the region,” Ignjatovic told IWPR.

Zoran Dragisic, a professor of security at the University of Belgrade, believed
the verdict would now encourage the tribunal’s longstanding opponents in
Serbia. “The tribunal doesn’t have the credibility to try serious cases any
more. The Serbian state sent a lot of evidence to the tribunal…and everyone in
Serbia who thought the tribunal was not an institution to be trusted was proved
right,” he said.

“With this verdict, the tribunal claims that no one was responsible for war
crimes in Kosovo against Serbs and Kosovo Albanians.”

Dragisic also doubted whether Serbia would now transfer the remaining fugitives
– Ratko Mladic, Radovan Karadzic, Stojan Zupljanin and Goran Hadzic – to The
Hague.

“The Serbian judiciary has been shown in a better light than the tribunal and I
think that it is better to try Ratko Mladic and the rest of fugitives in
Serbia. The chances of transferring Mladic and the remaining three indictees to
The Hague is now lower than ever,” he said.

Dragisic thinks the Haradinaj verdict will strengthen the right wing in Serbia
at the May 11 elections, making a victory for Vojislav Seselj’s Serbian Radical
Party, SRS, possible. Seselj is currently on trial for war crimes at the
tribunal. It is likely that the SRS would halt integration with Euro-Atlantic
institutions.

Dragan Popovic, international justice coordinator for the Youth Initiative for
Human Rights, said the verdict would not actually make much difference because
Serbia was hardly cooperating anyway.

“Serbian officials will use this verdict as an excuse for non-cooperation with
the tribunal” he said. “We can all see that in Prime Minister Vojislav
Kostunica’s attitude. The Serb authorities could use Haradinaj’s acquittal to
continue to frustrate attempts in Serbia to face up to the past.”

Aleksandar Roknic is an IWPR-trained reporter in Belgrade.

SUVA REKA TRIAL IN TROUBLE

Reports of delays and witness intimidation overshadow trial of Serbs accused of
war crimes against ethnic Albanians.

By Milos Teodorovic in Belgrade

On March 26, survivors and relatives remembered the ninth anniversary of the
massacre of 48 Albanian civilians in the Kosovo town of Suva Reka.

Although almost a decade has passed since the killings, there is still no end
in sight for the trial of eight Serb policemen accused of what was perhaps the
greatest atrocity committed during the Kosovo conflict of the late Nineties.

The trial, which began on October 2, 2006, was brought to a halt and had to
start again after one of the judges on the case was replaced amid rumours of
political interference. Meanwhile, prosecutors and defence lawyers each accuse
the other of slowing down proceedings.

All but one of the victims killed in Suva Reka nine years ago were members of
the Berisha family. The dead included a one-year-old baby and a 100-year-old
woman.

On trial are the former commander of the 37th  special police unit from Nis
Radoslav Mitrovic; the ex-Suva Reka police commander Radojko Repanovic and his
deputy Nenad Jovanovic; former policemen Sladan Cukaric, Miroslav Petkovic,
Ramiz Papic and Zoran Petkovic; and ex-member of the state security service in
charge of the Prizren area Milorad Nisavic.

They stand charged with killing 48 civilians.  The victims were allegedly
herded into a cafe in Suva Reka, and the   accused and the accused are said to
have thrown hand grenades inside, before shooting those who survived the blast.
The indictment against them is the first time war crimes charges have been
brought in any Serbian court against senior police officers in relation to
events in Kosovo.

The bodies of some of the victims were among more than 800 discovered in a mass
grave outside Belgrade in 2001.

Dzevalj Berisha is one of the few members of the Berisha family to survive the
slaughter.  The music teacher from Suva Reka said he has tried to find the rest
of the bodies. However, to this day, 16 corpses are still missing.

On the anniversary of the massacre, Serbia’s war crimes prosecutor Vladimir
Vukcevic asked prosecutor working on this case Mioljub Vitorovic when the trial
would be complete. He received only a vague response.

Vukcevic’s spokesman Bruno Vekaric said prosecutors should not be blamed for
the prolonged proceedings. According to him, it “seems that only the
prosecution is in a hurry to close the case of Suva Reka.

“The defence appears to be buying time, hoping that the accused won’t even be
convicted, in the end.”

The spokesman said the defence had slowed down proceedings by repeatedly asking
for new witnesses to be called, “who, in the prosecutor’s opinion, have nothing
to say which would be really relevant for this case.

 “The [defence] are constantly asking that new facts be established, no matter
how minor or irrelevant for the case they are. They just keep questioning even
those facts that are obvious and indisputable.”

However, Belgrade lawyer Goran Petronijevic, who represents Mitrovic in this
case, disputed Vekaric’s claims.

"The fact is that there have been many witnesses in the Suva Reka case, but the
proceedings have been too slow mainly because of the prosecutors,” he said.

“They question the witnesses for hours, wearing everyone down – the defence,
the witnesses and the trial chamber.”

The trial was already significantly delayed when in September 2007, almost a
year after it began, Judge Gordana Petrovic was taken off the case. Under
Serbian law, when a judge is replaced, proceedings must start from the
beginning, including re-reading the indictment and hearing witnesses’
testimonies again.

Although the official explanation of President of the District Court Sinisa
Vazic was that Petrovic had been removed from the Suva Reka case because her
mandate had expired, the judge has claimed the real reason was political
pressure.

 “I found out that [Vazic] had literally received an order from one foreign
embassy and one non-governmental organisation to remove me from this case
otherwise financial support that was assigned to the district court would be
taken away,” said Petrovic.

At the time, there was speculation in the Belgrade media that the judge had
fallen from grace after she apparently failed to point to a connection between
the war crimes suspects and top officials of the Serbian army in the Scorpions
trial.

In April 2007, the Belgrade War Crimes Court handed down verdicts on five
members of the Scorpions military unit that was filmed killing six Muslims near
Srebrenica in July 1995. Two of the former paramilitaries were given 20 years
in prison, one received 13, a fourth got five, while a fifth was acquitted.

While Petrovic’s claims were never proven, two other members of the trial
chamber in the Suva Reka case were not removed even thought their mandate
expired at the same time as hers.

Vekaric said the political crisis which erupted in Serbia following Kosovo’s
proclamation of independence on February 17 has also affected the Suva Reka
trial.

Last month, Serbian president Boris Tadic dissolved parliament and called
elections after Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica – angry that European states
had recognised the independent province – refused to back moves towards
European integration.

While Serbian police are obliged to investigate Serb suspects accused of war
crimes against Kosovo Albanians, Vekaric said that the situation with Kosovo
meant it would be much harder to get police cooperation.

The prosecutor’s spokesman said there were suspicions that Serb witnesses in
the Suva Reka case – mainly former Serb policemen testifying against their
colleagues – were coming under “huge pressure” not to testify. Kosovo Albanians
were already reluctant to testify in the case, because they don't trust a Serb
court to provide a fair trial.

Vekaric said that some witnesses appeared to be clamming up when giving
testimony, while others had altered their original testimonies.

“Nothing dramatic has happened yet, but we can see the difference in
communication between lawyers and some witnesses compared to the time when
trial began,” he said.

Milos Teodorovic is an IWPR-trained journalist.

COURTSIDE:

COURT HEARS DELIC LACKED CONTROL

General’s former bodyguard testifies that rogue units did not obey commands
from army headquarters.

By Denis Dzidic in Sarajevo

The former Bosnian army chief was not in control of all the forces under his
command, lacking even the authority to stop his son from being captured and
tortured, the general’s ex-bodyguard told the Hague tribunal this week.

Rasim Delic is charged with responsibility for crimes committed by a group of
foreign Muslim fighters known as the El Mujahid unit that was incorporated into
the Bosnian army. According to the prosecution, Delic was aware of executions
and other abuses, and did not stop them or discipline those responsible.

Ismet Dedovic testified that from 1993 until the end of the war, he spent 24
hours a day with the general and “never saw him meet any members of the
[Bosnian] army from African or Asian countries”.

Dedovic’s testimony about the state of the army in 1993 also reinforced the
defence argument that some military units were not under Delic’s command.

“The situation inside the main army headquarters was very negative toward
General Delic because there was a lot of mistrust toward him when he was first
put in charge,” said Dedovic.

“There were units who only answered to their commanders and refused to obey
orders issued to them by the army headquarters and General Delic. There was a
lot of criminal activity within these rogue units.”

The witness explained that Delic tried to tackle the issue by working with the
then-minister of the interior Bakir Alispahic to try to “regulate the work of
both civil and army structures, but [he] faced a lot of opposition.

“[Delic] was powerless without the full backing of the wartime presidency and
President Alija Izetbegovic.”

To underline this argument, defence counsel Vasvija Vidovic asked the witness
about the time when Delic’s son, Admir, was captured by one of the
insubordinate units shortly after Delic took command.

The prosecution protested against this line of questioning, describing it as
“completely irrelevant to the charges against Delic”. However, Vidovic
maintained it was “relevant to proving the conditions the defendant was forced
to work in”. The judges allowed her to continue.

Dedovic said members of the 10th Mountain Brigade, run by Musan Topalovic Caco,
captured Delic’s son and tortured him.

“Rasim Delic did all he could to free them, but he couldn’t do anything. Young
Admir was freed only when President Izetbegovic himself called Caco and asked
for his release,” said the witness.

During cross-examination, prosecutor Daryl Mundis asked if this difficult
situation continued throughout the war. The witness replied, “The Caco incident
served as a catalyst for improvement, and afterward most of the units were
obedient.”

The witness was also asked about Delic’s whereabouts in the summer of 1995,
when members of the El Mujahid unit tortured several Serb soldiers and
decapitated one of them in the Kamenica detainee camp.

>From June to August 1995, Delic was trying to break the Serb siege of
>Sarajevo, said Dedovic – and he “never saw Rasim Delic meeting that unit.

“The Sarajevo operation was planned by General Delic and he took part directly
in the fighting. We were always in the field at that time, in command posts
near enemy lines, because the communication lines were unsafe and he wanted to
manage them directly.”

Dedovic also said that in July they heard about the massacre in Srebrenica and
went to the Tuzla region to “talk to and assist refugees that were arriving
there”.

He said that “Delic received no documents and could not have been well informed
about army activities in other parts of the country”.

The prosecution also asked the witness about Delic’s whereabouts on September
11, 1995 when members of the El Mujahid unit allegedly captured and tortured
three women and 50 men in an attack on the village of Vozuca.

Dedovic said he and Delic were at an Islamic aid conference in Kuala Lumpur and
only returned on September 17.

“I remember that trip because there were a lot of negative comments in the
media about General Delic going to a conference while the war was still
raging,” said the witness.

Asked by the judges whether he thought it possible Delic was in charge of
operations from there, the witness said, “I was in charge of his security, so I
made phone calls for him. We were in touch with nobody. I also carried his bags
and I know that we carried no maps or documents of any sort.”

Dedovic also denied the prosecution’s claim that they had visited Vozuca after
the attack.

“We visited the Ozren Mountains, not that near Vozuca, after we returned to
Bosnia and only stayed for two hours while we met with the command of the 2nd
Corps - no one else,” said Dedovic.

Finally, the prosecution asked whether the witness sat in on any of Delic’s
meetings and whether he could be fully informed about what the general knew and
what orders he gave. The witness replied that he “had never attended any
meetings and would always stand outside the door”.

The hearing continues next week.

Denis Dzidic is an IWPR-trained reporter in Sarajevo.

COURT TOLD KRAJINA SUFFERED “SYSTEMATIC CAMPAIGN” OF DESTRUCTION

Witness says Croat general had the power to prevent war crimes there.

By Simon Jennings in The Hague

A former United Nations official testifying in the trial of Croatian general
Ivan Cermak this week spoke of the looting and burning of buildings he said he
witnessed in the Serb-held Krajina in the summer of 1995.

Edward Flynn, an ex-member of the UN human rights action team which patrolled
the region during this time, was testifying about events in the Knin district
of Krajina in the aftermath of the Croatian military offensive known as
Operation Storm which led to mass exodus of Serbs from this region.

The witness told the Hague tribunal of his disbelief when, at a meeting of
Croatian and UN officials in August that year, Cermak had asked to be notified
immediately of any crimes so that he could dispatch police to investigate them
as soon as possible.

“I considered it implausible for the general to ask us to notify him of
incidents of lawlessness, when in our travels around the region, it was very
easy to see burning buildings and acts of looting; and we also investigated at
that time a number of killings,” Flynn told the court.

Cermak is on trial along with two other former senior Croatian generals, Ante
Gotovina and Mladen Markac. The three men are accused of having an instrumental
role in the forcible removal of up to 200,000 Serbs from the Croatian region of
Krajina between July and September 1995.

Cermak was appointed the commander of the Croatian garrison in Knin on August
6, 1995, two days after Operation Storm. With operational control over Croatian
army units and the civilian police, the former general is charged with
conducting a joint criminal enterprise against Serbs by “permitting, denying
and/or minimising the ongoing criminal activity, including participating in the
reporting of false, incomplete, [and] misleading information regarding crimes
committed”.

According to Flynn, in August 1995, he and his UN colleagues informed the
Croatian authorities – for which Cermak was the main point of contact – about
crimes such as the looting and burning of houses in the region.

UN video footage of burning houses and dead civilians were shown to the court
this week as Flynn confirmed that there was a “systematic campaign” of
destruction which he tried to prevent by reporting it to Cermak.

“We conveyed to the general our concern about continuing lawlessness in the
sector… A number of killings, more burning houses had been observed, there was
a high level of looting taking place,” he said.

And according to Flynn, Cermak had the necessary power over security forces to
prevent such crimes.

“Cermak spoke with great authority about these issues,” said Flynn. “His
response was that he would take the necessary action… He spoke as if he could
control military police and civilian matters in the region.”

But while Cermak assured him that crimes were being investigated, Flynn said
that his visit 10 days later to the house of a murdered man in Grubori, in the
Plavno valley of Krajina, showed this not to be the case.

“There was still a bullet casing on the floor of that room some 10 days to two
weeks after the incident. So I personally doubt that a serious investigation
took place, at least at that time,” said Flynn.

During the cross examination by Cermak’s defence lawyer, Stephen Kay, Flynn
agreed that there was a “cordial” relationship between Cermak and the UN staff
in Knin. But he said that although a “mutual respect” existed between the
parties there was also “a difference in perception at what was taking place”.

“There were some times that plainly evident facts were disputed by the general,
such as widespread burning that was taking place in August,” said Flynn.

Kay put it to the court that Flynn was making an assumption about Cermak’s
authority and did not know precisely what it was.  Kay quoted Flynn’s words
that he was “not exactly sure of Cermak’s actual authority”.

The defence contested that Cermak had “actual authority” to act to prevent or
punish crimes in the region. Flynn confirmed he only “believed” this to be the
case.

Kay contended that Cermak’s role regarding police forces in Knin amounted to
little more than cooperation and that they were definitely not subordinated to
him. He pointed to “the difference between being in control of the police and
actually cooperating and coordinating with them”.

The defence counsel then brought a number of documents before the court,
including letters between chiefs of the military and civilian police in Knin,
to show that Cermak was not responsible for law and order in the region during
the summer of 1995. He attempted to demonstrate that it was the military and
civilian police, and not Cermak, who had direct obligations concerning security
in the region.

 “There was a complete hierarchy working entirely on its own without Mr Cermak,
with the civilian police and the military police at the highest level…the
failure of these bodies was not the responsibility of Mr Cermak,” Kay told the
court.

The witness agreed that this may have been the case, although he was not aware
of it at the time. But he contended that the chief of the civilian police in
Knin district worked on the basis that some security resources were dependent
on Cermak.

In Cermak’s defence, Kay sought to paint a picture of highly organised
administrative structures that were not affiliated to the office of the
accused, and were trying to operate in “a scene of chaos” to bring the area
under control.

Flinn disagreed with Kay’s description, referring to the situation as “lawless”
rather than one of chaos, as it was a sparsely populated area.

And when asked if he was aware of “a whole series of orders” for the military
and civilian police to work together to provide security, Flynn replied, “I
find this very surprising because well into my stay there, there seemed to be a
minimal police presence… I felt there was a serious deficiency in security in
the area so it’s quite remarkable to see these orders.”

Kay further sought to defend the security forces’ failure to investigate
crimes, such as the murder described by Flynn. He read out a letter from
Croatia’s assistant minister of the interior to the police administration in
Knin, calling for police to clamp down on crimes. But the letter implied that
an amnesty existed on all such acts committed before August 18. Kay contended
that the ministry of the interior had decided not to investigate any crimes
committed up to this date.

Simon Jennings is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

WITNESS DESCRIBES FINDING DEAD FATHER

He says he identified his body days after Croatian army assault on their
village.

By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

A witness in the trial of two Croatian army generals described this week
finding his father’s body following a Croat army attack on his village.

The protected witness testifying in the war crimes trial of Rahim Ademi and
Mirko Norac told Zagreb County Court that he and his neighbours fled their
village of Divoselo as the Croatian army advanced during a military operation
in Medak Pocket in September 1993.

Several days later, he found the corpse of his father in the nearby town of
Korenica, where, following the military operation, bodies were taken by the
United Nations Protection Force, UNPROFOR, to be identified.

Ademi and Norac are accused of commanding troops who killed prisoners at the
time of the Medak Pocket operation in 1993, in what is the first case to be
referred to the Croatian courts by The Hague war crimes tribunal.

According to the original tribunal indictment, at least 29 Serb civilians were
killed and dozens more wounded in the operation, which was carried out to
regain control of part of Croatia held by Serb rebels since 1991. Many of the
victims were women or elderly.

The witnesses whose testimonies were heard this week were questioned via a
video link at the end of March. Their testimony, given in closed session,
wasn’t made public until Judge Marin Mrcela read the transcripts out in court.
These measures were taken to protect the identity of the witnesses, who were
mainly former Serb soldiers and civilians.

Previous witnesses have also testified that they went to Korenica, which at
that point was still held by Serbs, to identify the bodies of relatives killed
during the operation.

This week, the court was also shown footage of dead bodies of Serb soldiers and
civilians filmed during the identification process in Korenica, just after the
capture of Medak Pocket.

The Croatian army handed bodies over to UNPROFOR after the area was cleared.
Most of the dead taken to Korenica were men whose bodies were burned or
decayed. Many had gunshot wounds, and some were missing body parts.

Some corpses still wore the remnants of army uniforms, while others were naked
– making it impossible to determine if it they were civilians or soldiers. The
footage also showed piles of clothes which had been buried.

Another witness, a former member of the Serb army, testified via video link
from the United States. He said he had fled after the Croatian attack, and that
he and seven fellow soldiers offered no resistance although they were armed.

“We carried weapons while we were retreating, but we did not use them so as not
to reveal our position,” said the witness.

He added that he had seen Croatian soldiers set houses on fire and took away
cattle in trucks.

Norac and Ademi are also accused of the unlawful destruction of civilian
property during the operation.

Most prosecution witnesses who have testified have said that following the
Medak operation, arson and the looting of Serbian property were carried out by
people dressed in Croatian army uniform.

Around 90 witnesses have already testified in the case and it is expected that
Mrcela will also read the testimony of four more protected witnesses.

The trial will continue on April 17.

Goran Jungvirth is an IWPR-trained journalist in Zagreb.

BRIEFLY NOTED:

JUDGES SAY STANISIC FIT FOR TRIAL

Former Milosevic aide deemed fit enough for trial in spite of physical and
mental health problems.

By Simon Jennings in The Hague

Judges in the case of Jovica Stanisic have ruled that the former aide to
ex-Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic is fit to stand trial despite recent
health problems.

The Hague tribunal ruled that the accused will follow proceedings from the
court’s detention unit via video-conference link until he is fit to attend in
person. He will also have a telephone line direct to the courtroom enabling him
to contact his defence lawyer at any time.

The start of proceedings against Stanisic and his co-accused Franko Simatovic
have been postponed several times since they were due to begin a month ago,
after Stanisic was admitted to hospital suffering from kidney stones,
osteoporosis and severe depression.

Stanisic and Simatovic are accused of “the forcible and permanent removal of
the majority of non-Serbs, principally Croats, Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian
Croats from large areas of Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina through
commission of the crimes of persecutions, murder, deportations and inhumane
acts” between 1991 and 1995.

Stanisic was head of Serbian state security between December 1991 and October
1998, while Simatovic was in charge of its special operations unit during the
period relevant to the indictment.

Throughout his illness, Stanisic has consistently refused to waive his right to
be present at the trial, prompting judges to rule that his “health condition is
a factor that persistently interferes with the right to a fair and expeditious
trial, warranting derogation from the right to be present in court”.

The fact that Stanisic’s health is also holding up proceedings against his
co-accused, Simatovic, led judges to rule that “[Simatovic] too is entitled to
a fair and expeditious trial”. The trial will now begin on Monday April 14.

Although the judges decided that this was the best way to proceed, they
insisted that the video link was a temporary measure to be employed until
Stanisic is fit to attend court.

“If he does not [attend], in spite of being able to do so, he will be taken to
waive his right to be present in court,” said the judges.

Simon Jennings is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

**** www.iwpr.net

TRIBUNAL UPDATE, the publication arm of IWPR's International Justice Project,
produced since 1996, details the events and issues at the International
Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, ICTY, at The Hague.

These weekly reports, produced by IWPR's human rights and media training
project, seek to contribute to regional and international understanding of the
war crimes prosecution process.

The opinions expressed in Tribunal Update are those of the authors and do not
necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

Tribunal Update is supported by the European Commission, the Dutch Ministry for
Development and Cooperation, the Swedish International Development and
Cooperation Agency, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and other funders.
IWPR also acknowledges general support from the Ford Foundation.

TRIBUNAL UPDATE: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor: John MacLeod; Project Manager: Merdijana Sadovic;
Translation: Predrag Brebanovic, and others.

w: Executive Director: Anthony Borden; Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan
Davis; Chief Programme Officer: Mike Day.

**** www.iwpr.net

IWPR builds democracy at the frontlines of conflict and change through the
power of professional journalism. IWPR programs provide intensive hands-on
training, extensive reporting and publishing, and ambitious initiatives to
build the capacity of local media. Supporting peace-building, development and
the rule of law, IWPR gives responsible local media a voice.

Institute for War & Peace Reporting
48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: www.iwpr.net

ISSN 1477-7940 Copyright © 2008 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** www.iwpr.net