Terry wrote:
> The temple grounds were divided into four courts.

Actually, there were six courts.  A friend of mine did his Ph.D.
dissertation on Herod's Temple, and we invited him many years ago to
share at our home church on his work.  Your four court analysis
apparently combines courts 2 & 3 and courts 4 & 5 together.

1. Court of the Gentiles, which included Solomon's porch, a portico /
colonnade along the Eastern Side of the Temple.

2. Sacred Enclosure (3 feet higher)

3. Court of Women (3 feet higher), accessible by both men and women,
also called the Treasury, where the story of the widow's mite took
place.

4. Court of Israel (10 feet higher)

5. Court of Priests (3 feet higher)

6. House of God (8 feet higher), divided into two compartments, the Holy
Place and the Holy of Holies (or Most Holy Place).

Terry wrote:
> If there were any Gentile Christians in the
> Jerusalem Church gathering, they would have
> had to meet in the Gentile court, as they
> would not qualify to enter the other courts.

Of course, and we know that this was part of the Temple where they did
gather.  Solomon's porch is mentioned as being one area of the Temple
frequented by both Jesus and his apostles and later Christians (see John
10:23, Acts 3:11, Acts 5:12).  Solomon's porch was the eastern side of
the Gentile court.  Nevertheless, keep in mind that the Jerusalem church
was primarily Jewish.  These Jewish believers had no problems entering
into the areas not allowed to Gentiles, and we have specific references
in Scripture showing both Jesus and his apostles in Acts entering into
the area of the Temple forbidden to Gentiles.  Most notably, this would
be the treasury, also known as the court of women (see John 8:20, Mark
12:41, Acts 5, etc.).  If you remember, Paul was falsely accused of
bringing Gentiles into the restricted area in Acts 21, and Peter and
John healed the lame man in Acts 5 as they were entering into the
Treasury.

I just trust the Bible when it says that the Christians in Jerusalem met
in the Temple.

Act 2:46  And they, continuing daily with one accord IN THE TEMPLE, and
breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and
singleness of heart,

Act 3:1  Now Peter and John went up together INTO THE TEMPLE at the hour
of prayer, being the ninth hour.
Act 3:2  And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom
they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to
ask alms of them that entered INTO THE TEMPLE;
Act 3:3  Who seeing Peter and John ABOUT TO GO INTO THE TEMPLE asked an
alms.

Act 5:19  But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors,
and brought them forth, and said,
Act 5:20  Go, stand and SPEAK IN THE TEMPLE TO THE PEOPLE all the words
of this life.
Act 5:21  And when they heard that, THEY ENTERED INTO THE TEMPLE EARLY
IN THE MORNING, AND TAUGHT.
Act 5:25  Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye
put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.

Act 5:34  Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named
Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people,
and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
Act 5:38  And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them
alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to
nought:
Act 5:39  But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be
found even to fight against God.
Act 5:40  And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles,
and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name
of Jesus, and let them go.
Act 5:41  And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing
that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
Act 5:42  And DAILY IN THE TEMPLE, and in every house, they ceased not
to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

Perhaps I should mention that there are two Greek words translated
Temple in the New Testament:  hieron and naos.  Hieron is the whole
entire temple, including the court of the Gentiles, but naos appears to
refer to the center shrine itself composed of the holy place and the
most holy place.  When I speak of the early believers meeting in the
Temple, I am referring to hieron.

Terry wrote:
> We have a building with a roof and no walls
> on our land, as do many people around here.
> It is called a pole barn. ... I meant what
> I said.

A pole barn, ok, I see what you are getting at.  But the Temple was not
a pole barn!  It's interesting how we can look at the same structure and
be drawn to different aspects of it in our minds.  I am drawn to the
fact that there were walls around these courts and a lack of roof over
much of the Temple.  However, there were colonnades at the edges of the
court of the Gentiles, and also along the edge of the Treasury (court of
women).  These colonnades are evidently what you are drawn to when you
look at Herod's Temple.  Solomon's porch is one such colonnade mentioned
in Scripture which was part of the court of the Gentiles.

Terry wrote:
> The early Christians were bold because they were
> filled with the Spirit, but they were not suicidal.
> If they had tried to enter the inner court, they
> would have been killed by the temple guards, who
> were there to do exactly that to anyone but a priest
> who attempted to enter.

Who said anything about the "inner court"?  I'm sure some of the early
believers were priests, but for the most part, they gathered together in
Solomon's porch (court of the Gentiles) and the Treasury (court of
women).  The book of Acts also indicates that they assembled regularly
in the synagogues, and, of course, the part you especially like, house
to house. :-)

We might have some fun focusing upon home church in the New Testament,
but home church was not the ONLY kind of church going on, nor was it the
only kind of "church" attended by the early Christians.  There were
religious buildings besides homes where the early Christians assembled.
That's my primary point.  :-)  My observation might not be welcomed by
home church enthusiasts, but I think my comments deserve consideration
nonetheless.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.