Glenn wrote:
> The commandments have changed.

What?  Have you become a Mormon now?  LOL.

Jesus taught that until heaven and earth passed away, there would be no
change in the commandments.

Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot
or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least
commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in
the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same
shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Now notice that verse 19 says that those who break one of these least
commandments will still be "in the kingdom of heaven."  So I'm not going
to argue against the idea that one can break the commandments and still
receive the kingdom of heaven.  What does concern me is teaching men
that they can break the commandments, and what is even worse is to
contradict Jesus Christ and claim that the commandments have changed.

To claim that the commandments have changed suggests that you believe
that righteousness still comes by keeping the law, but by keeping the
"NEW" commandments rather than the "OLD" ones.  Either that, or you
don't believe that there are any commandments at all, which would make
you an anarchist.  Either way, such understanding that the commandments
have "changed" is departing from the doctrine of Christ.

There is a right way to understand how the law has been done away, and
that is in regard to how a person obtains righteousness.  It has to do
with our walk in the Lord.  Let me give you an example.

Suppose that when I drive my car, I am conscientious about being safe.
Out of my concern and understanding that my car is a lethal weapon, I
always drive within the posted speed limits, but without even looking at
the speed limit signs.  In such a situation, the laws have been done
away with for me.  I don't really pay attention to the posted laws
because I abide by the laws without really paying attention to them.
Now it might be fair for me to say that there has been a doing away with
the laws concerning speeding in my life, but it is only with respect to
my personal observance of them.  I don't care about the speed limit laws
per se.  I only care about driving safely in such a way that I don't
cause other people harm.  As long as I abide within the speed limit,
there will be no problem with my teaching others to walk in the same
way, ignoring the letter of the law, but abiding in the spirit of the
law.  Nevertheless, the laws are still there and in force.  If I were to
violate them, I would be reminded that they are in force by a policeman
pulling me over and writing me a ticket.  The law then has application
in my life if I become a transgressor, but if by nature I keep the law,
then I am not a transgressor, even if I am ignorant of the law and don't
even know what it says.

"For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned
without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in
the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are
just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when
the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained
in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which
show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also
bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else
excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of
men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."  (Rom 2:11-16)

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.