Slade wrote:
> For those of you who think you can speed and not
> be committing sin, read the following (Romans 13).

I'm not sure if you are directing this toward me or not, but I'm
responding because I feel that I might not be understood on this
subject.

This speeding subject is a very good one to help us distinguish between
"the written word / being legalistic" and "the living word / being led
of the Spirit."  I hope you make an effort to grasp what I am teaching
on this subject.

First, we must understand that most traffic violations are not crimes.
They are civil infractions.  It would be illegal for the authorities to
punish you with incarceration or other penalties that are used for
crimes.  A fine is the most that can be imposed.  Ask yourself why our
authorities do not consider it a crime.  Note that some traffic
violations are crimes, such as "reckless driving," but simply exceeding
the speed limit is not a crime, unless it endangers someone when you are
doing it.

Second, try to see the relationship between sin and crime.  Sin is
something that damages someone else, either your neighbor or God.  For
example, sins are things like stealing, murder, adultery, idolatry,
taking the Lord's name in vain.  Civil crimes are generally those
actions which damage your neighbor or yourself.  In our society, we
don't have crimes against God much anymore.  Therefore, crimes are
things like stealing and murder.  Are you starting to see the overlap
here?

Third, I believe that the traffic laws need to be followed.  They
maintain order in our society and prevent sin.  They prevent damage from
happening.  For example, if someone runs their car into another person's
car, they have sinned against that person.  Stop signs, traffic lights,
and speed limits help prevent these sins from happening.  I do not own a
radar detector, nor do I exceed the speed limit because nobody is
getting hurt by it.  I accept whatever the rules that the authorities
have put into place, and I submit myself to these rules.

Fourth, understand that there are exceptions to speeding laws.  If you
were bringing someone to the hospital in an emergency, and a policeman
pulled you over, he would not write you a speeding ticket.  He would
give you a police escort and help you speed safely to the hospital.  The
fact that such exceptions exist tells you that the laws are not precise
enough to define true righteousness in every situation.  Police exercise
a certain level of judgment when they enforce traffic rules, because the
rules are meant to promote safety.  The goal of what the rules are meant
to accomplish is what is in sight, not the idea that the rule must be
followed at all costs.  A legalist might think it immaterial that police
officers exercise some level of judgment, but I think his mind is in the
wrong place if that is the case.  He is like the Pharisees always
accusing Jesus and not being able to judge righteous judgment.  We ought
to be able to see the overall good and right in any situation and not be
dependent upon written rules and regulations.  I'm not saying that
written laws are not needed, but they only serve as a guideline to help
us find our way, until we are able to make good judgments ourselves
about right and wrong.  Some people in this category may find themselves
being put in positions of authority to create these laws themselves, as
part of our legislature.

The point that I was trying to make before was that only a legalist
would call it a sin for someone to slip over the speed limit
accidentally for a few seconds.  Why?  Because he is concerned with what
is written and abiding by what is written.  Clearly, the traffic law has
been violated if we take this perspective.

I brought up Matthew 12 to show how Jesus's apostles also violated laws
in this technical way, but Jesus said that the Torah scholars who
pointed this out had condemned the guiltless.  Therefore, Jesus reveals
to us a righteousness that is greater than the Torah.  It is this kind
of righteousness that we need to grab a hold of, because it is what
distinguishes the righteousness that comes through Christ from the
righteousness that comes from observing Torah.  This kind of
righteousness is scary to some people, because it sounds "liberal," but
when we find that the righteousness that comes through Christ exceeds
the righteousness of the letter of the law, and that those who are
righteous through Christ fulfill the righteousness that the law points
to, then we become confident that this is not some fake righteousness,
but righteousness in deed and in truth.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.