Slade wrote:
> Explain why Paul uses the term, "I SAY,
> AND NOT THE LORD."

Sometimes the Lord may direct apostles and prophets to command certain
things.  When the apostles and prophets are so directed, they speak in
the name of the Lord, often saying, "Thus says the Lord" or "The Lord
commands..."  Apostles and prophets also may be teachers of things in
which they have been faithful.  It is important that they separate that
which the Lord commands them (such as in a vision) from that which they
have discovered to be right through experience as a faithful servant.
This is why Paul says, "I say, and not the Lord."  He is inviting the
brethren to judge his perspective, because it is likely to be slanted
from a certain perspective, according to his particular calling.  This
does not mean that he thinks what he is saying is unimportant, nor is he
saying to ignore or dismiss what he is saying.  He is simply making a
distinction between that which the Lord himself commanded to be
instructed and that which he learned through study and experience.

Note that when Paul uses the phrase "I say," this does not always mean
that what follows is not from human sources.  Sometimes it is just a
matter of expression.  And with regards to 2 Cor. 5:8, the phrase "I
say" was not from Paul, but supplied by the translators for readability.
In the Greek, it literally reads, "We are confident then and are pleased
rather to leave home out from our body and to be at home with the Lord."

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.