Dave,

I think the primary problem here is that you have a very polished
surface which does not reveal your heart.  I'm not trying to offend you.
In fact, I think some people on TruthTalk admire you in this way.
However, others find it offensive.

At first it appears to some that you are not knowledgeable and that you
have a sincere desire to learn of Christianity outside Mormonism.  I
think some might even think you are considering leaving Mormonism.
Then, as they discuss with you, they find that there is not this
innocent desire to learn more, but rather you are very knowledgeable and
have already heard the knowledge shared concerning what you had inquired
about.  This jolts them in that they had an impression of you that
proved to be wrong upon subsequent discussion.

Another level was breached with regard to the Book of Abraham.  In that
situation, it surely appeared that you do not care at all what the truth
is.  You will believe the Book of Abraham because your church believes
the Book of Abraham, and it really doesn't matter what evidence there is
that would challenge that belief.  This situation especially shook me
because you seemed to project a persona of someone interested in Truth.
I have seen polished surfaces many times in Christianity... face it,
Christianity is filled with hypocrites.  But this reaction showed to
many here that perhaps there is even demonic activity preventing you
from being honest in this particular situation.  I don't mean this in a
derogatory way, but rather it just seems very much like the Jews who
will not even consider that Jesus is Messiah.  There is an invisible
veil over the heart.

So Mormonism appears to many here, as the result of your testimony here,
to be a cult kind of like Judaism, where adherence to an institution and
focus upon a particular prophet keeps you from seeing and hearing God in
matters of great importance.

With regards to TruthTalk as a forum and your involvement here, I just
want to remind everyone that TruthTalk is open to everyone regardless of
their religious beliefs.  Furthermore, how people participate in the
forum is strictly up to them.  The way DaveH has handled himself is just
fine, in fact, exemplary in many ways.  We could learn a lot about
posting etiquette from DaveH.  If you have some concerns or problems or
you want to make a point, you will simply have to adjust your methods to
work with the way the person you are responding to acts.  With respect
to this forum, there is nothing wrong with a person who is lurking, or
someone who evades answers, or someone who gives poor answers.  Adjust
your posting to produce the best fruit possible, and don't blame others
just because they are not responding the way that you think they ought
to respond.

I also want to take this opportunity to say that I have very much
appreciated Dave Hansen's continued involvement on TruthTalk.  Because
of him, I have a much better understanding of Mormonism.  I've added
dozens of Mormon books to my library and I have read them because of
Dave Hansen's comments here.  I've gained a much better historical
knowledge of the relationship of the Stone-Campbell restoration movement
and the Mormon restoration movement.  I feel like I know about Joseph
Smith's life in a very detailed way.  For all this knowledge, I am very
grateful, and it would not have come about if Dave Hansen did not prod
me with questions and challenge me with his ideas in this forum.  Thank
you Dave.  :-)

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.