Dean wrote:
> I consider the fact the DaveH is allowed to dwell among
> the brethren as sin, David. To me it is a clear violation
> of the Bible-as it also was to J. Wesley.

It still seems to me that you are thinking of this list like a church or
someone's home where we all live together.  Many on the list I have
never met.  I have never met any of the Mormons, never shook their hand,
never eaten with them.  How can you possibly say that my allowing them
to post here is a violation of the Bible?  From my perspective, that
would be like saying that allowing the newspaper in my town to publish
articles from those who are not Christians is sin.  Or maybe you think I
should run off all my neighbors who are not Christians?  Please examine
your basic premise of why you think this list ought not allow anyone but
Christians.  How is it sin to allow non-Christians to post their views
here?  Believe me, Dean.  If you convince me, I will change.  If you
cause me to even doubt and suspect that I might be sinning by doing
this, I will take down the list immediately.  I have no desire other
than to do God's will.  I see some benefit of learning in the list and
that is why it exists.  I will never place learning above holiness, so
if something is wrong with what I'm doing, all you have to do is show it
to me and I will change.

Have you ever studied John Calvin's town of Geneva?  He took the
approach that you do toward not allowing anything that is not Biblical
to happen in town.  The goal was to create a Biblical Utopia.  Well, he
went at it for many years, but in my opinion, the whole thing was a
failure.  People were not free.  Study how Michael Servetus, a traveler
from another country, was burned at the stake because he believed in
Oneness doctrine rather than the Trinity.  I think your attitude is very
much like John Calvin's in this regard.

John Wesley did not have e-mail lists, so why do you say that he would
agree with you?

Dean wrote:
> But what does the Bible tell us about the moon-I don't
> feel that this is open to private interpretations as
> words have meanings. Do you see the difference?

Yes, there is a difference, but I chose an extreme to make a point.
Some ideas are so foolish that they are no threat whatsoever.  No matter
how long you hang around someone who thinks the moon is cheese, you are
not in danger of being deceived by it.  It might be that Mormonism is
not as attractive to me as it is to you.  I don't know.

Dean wrote:
> That is the difference between us David- I see a false
> teachers as the same as Paul Hill-You see P.Hill as a
> killer-

Right.  I do not see them as the same.

Dean wrote:
> I see DaveH as a killer also as I believe he is
> here to steal seeds of life-

You may not realize this, but when you are not here and Glenn is not
here, DaveH seems to be pretty quiet.  Dave responds to the jabs that
you guys throw at him.  I actually think he treats it as entertainment.
I think he likes Glenn's style a little better than yours.  Maybe he
thinks he can control Glenn better.  I never saw DaveH so sad as when
Glenn left the list.  He has been trying to talk him into coming back
ever since that time.

I think that if DaveH were here to steal seeds of life as you put it, he
would have left a long time ago.  Several Mormons have come and gone,
but Dave sticks around, mostly in lurk mode.  It does not seem like he
is trying to steal any seeds, but simply observe our discussions.

Dean wrote:
> Remember the passage that had to do with not
> even wishing those that bring a false doctrine
> Good luck.

This particular passage is 2 John.  Look at it again.

2Jo 1:5  And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new
commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we
love one another.
2Jo 1:6  And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is
the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should
walk in it.
2Jo 1:7  For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not
that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an
antichrist.
2Jo 1:8  Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have
wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
2Jo 1:9  Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of
Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath
both the Father and the Son.
2Jo 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine,
receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
2Jo 1:11  For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil
deeds.

The commandment is:
Verse 5:  Love one Another
Verse 6:  Walk after His commandments
Verse 7 : Jesus Christ is come in the flesh

Hasn't DaveH brought each of these here with him?

>From my perspective, Dave believes false doctrines, but he is not here
to spread them around.  He only offers his views when asked.
Furthermore, this is NOT my home.  As I explained before, I see that
passage as having to do with receiving apostles into your home who do
not abide in the doctrine of Christ.  DaveH does not live with me.
DaveH posts here in the same way that someone might write a letter to
the editor of a newspaper. What's the big deal?

Dean wrote:
> While you/others on this site claim to me that
> DaveH is not teaching any false doctrine here.

I have not said that DaveH does not teach false doctrine.  I have
confronted him many times, especially about his view that the Book of
Abraham is Scripture.

Dean wrote:
> Consider what you stated to Judy in 'Love or Rebuke'
> dated 12/18/2003 10:02:13 pm  " Ask DaveH. He teaches
> the same doctrine that you do."

I was wrong in that statement.  Judy corrected me and I accept her
correction.

Dean wrote:
> Which is it? Does he or doesn't here teach here?
> Or are you wanting to confuse the facts.

I'm not trying to confuse anything.  Dave teaches kind of like Socrates
I suppose.  He teaches when invited to, but withholds if not.  Just look
at his recent response to Perry for example.  He was not asked
questions, so he does not volunteer information.  He is overly polite,
in my opinion, but I can understand it when so many want to ascribe
false motives for his being here.

Dean, where else can you get loud mouth preachers to talk civilly with a
quiet and somewhat shy Mormon?  Think about it.

Dean wrote:
> I whole disagree with that statement-as the Bible is
> clear on these issues and once studied out on all issues.
> God isn't that unclear.

So Roman Catholics have no errant doctrines, and the Greek Orthodox have
no errant doctrines, and the Baptists have no errant doctrines, and the
Presbyterians have no errant doctrines, and the Wesleyans have no errant
doctrines, and the Episcopalians have no errant doctrines, and the
Messianics have no errant doctrines, and the Seventh Day Adventists have
no errant doctrines, and the Churches of Christ have no errant doctrines
and the Pentecostals have no errant doctrines and the charismatics have
no errant doctrines?  Need I go on?  I don't understand what you are
trying to say.

Dean wrote:
> The why did you claim him as a Christian in the
> last post? And why do you say he doesn't sin when
> you just admitted he does in the above post?

I usually use the word "Christian" to refer to someone who professes a
faith in Jesus Christ.  DaveH does this, so I consider him a Christian.
Most Roman Catholics I consider Christians also.  This does not mean
that I think they have eternal life.  They simply subscribe to a
religion of men that has Jesus Christ as its center focus.

Sometimes I might refer to how a "true Christian" would act for the sake
of discussion, in order to be brief.  If I say that, then I mean someone
who has truly met Jesus and has trust and faith in Him.  For example, I
might tell DaveH that if he were a true Christian, he would not continue
to sin.  I might say the same thing to Gary too.

Dean wrote:
> I don't think that issues that have nothing
> to do with sin or warning should divide
> brethren-nor will I be drawn into a cult.
> Some issues have a low level of importance
> others are more serious.

When I was but a lad and had not studied, life was so much more simple.
I did not recognize dangerous ideas for what they were.  As my knowledge
increased, the danger of more and more ideas became glaring.  My bar of
discernment continues to move, and I suspect yours does too.  Many
things that have a low level of importance for you now will have a
serious level of importance for you later.  We have to pick our fights
and we have to choose wisely, because sometimes the fights themselves,
even if you are on the right side, cause more damage than the doctrine
you are dealing with.  This is why the Scriptures always admonish us to
rebuke with meekness.

Dean wrote:
> I don't read it this way-I see Paul going up Jerusalem
> with Barnabas and rebuking Peter 2:11 and due to that
> rebuke the gospel of peace is vindicated. Later Peter
> teaches the same thing Paul did. In short Peter
> repented.

You have the events confused.  Galatians 2:11 concerns Peter's trip to
Antioch, not Paul's trip to Jerusalem.  This event happened in Acts 11,
whereas I was talking about Acts 15, something that happened later.  My
point is that the Judaizers are not excommunicated.  We don't see
anything like what we see in 1 Cor. 5 where the church is told not to
endure the fornicator, but to cast him out of the church.  The Galatians
were never instructed to cast out Judaizers.  Rather, their doctrine is
simply refuted.  I suspect that the Judaizers tried pulling rank on
Paul, claiming that Peter, James, and other in the Jerusalem church
taught what they were teaching.  That's why they went to Jerusalem, to
put to silence that false claim.

Even when they came back from Jerusalem, there was no bull of
excommunication to cast out the Judaizers.  Rather, the letter they sent
along with the prophets were to instruct them how the Jerusalem church
acknowledges how Gentiles are welcome into the body of Christ without
abiding in the Mosaic covenant.

Dean wrote:
> I believe there is actual sin here-When God told Adam
> and Eve not to eat the fruit-  they did it was sin .

When they did it, that was sin, but when they were talking about doing
it, was that sin?  Did Jesus sin when the Devil tempted him in the
wilderness, just because he entertained the idea of turning stones into
bread or jumping off the pinnacle of the Temple?  I don't think so.  In
the other words, we can let the devil speak and teach, and we have not
sinned.  Did not God allow this in the book of Job, even when the Devil
was accusing Job?

Dean wrote:
> When God told me not to dwell with false teachers
> who bring another doctrine-I believe it is sin not
> to listen.

If DaveH were living in my home for these last five years, you might
have a point.  I say MIGHT because it really depends upon whether he was
bringing doctrine that was damaging to me and my family.  I have had
many guests in my home who have believed wrong doctrine, but if they are
not talking about them in front of my family, it really does not matter.

I fully agree that we need to be careful about false doctrine, but I see
neither Jesus nor Peter and James removing themselves completely from
the constant presence of the Pharisees who had not converted.  Only Paul
removed himself at some point, because he was the apostle to the
Gentiles, but the others continued meeting in the synagogues and were
basically considered Jews by the Jews.  James especially had an
excellent reputation among them as a very holy and pious man.  These men
were warned about the leaven of the Pharisees, but he did not remove
themselves from it, even when it became evident that Peter was tainted
by it in the Galatians 2:11 passage.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.