Dean wrote:
> But David when we rebuked them you stepped in and spoke
> against us for rebuking them-Both Izzy and I experienced
> this-In a sense we were rebuked for rebuking the Mormons.

A lot of people have experienced this.  We have one rule on TruthTalk,
and that is that there should be no ad hominem arguments.  You are not
allowed to insult people or disparage them.  You are allowed to
passionately attack what they are saying.  Attack the arguments.  Do not
attack the person.

I realize that both you and Izzy have a hard time understanding that,
but the purpose of it is to focus on the subject matter being discussed
rather than on the person.  When you attack the person, all kinds of
emotions start coming into play and the discussion degrades into a
battle of the wits over ego rather than truth.

Please keep in mind, that if it had been reversed and Dave had attacked
you, I would have come down on him just as hard.  There is only one
person that I had to ban from the list and that is because when he was
rebuked by me, he did what he wanted anyway.  Some people just like to
flame others and make them mad.  We don't allow that here.

Now in some sense, you are allowed to rebuke, but the rebuke must be
focused upon the error itself.  You have rebuked me for allowing
non-Christians on the list.  I have not censored you for that.  I would
like to see continued discussion about it.  However, if you start
railing at me and calling me an idiot and not really discussing the
differences, then we will have a problem.

I try to allow as much latitude as I can for people to correct
themselves, but if I don't step in from time to time, the discussion
seriously degrades into useless banter.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.