Are you confusing Oliver Cowdery with Sidney Rigdon?  Oliver was a school  teacher first, later an attorney.  Sidney was , as indicated, a minister.
Blaine
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Old hebrew Coins found in Kentucky?

More likely these associations:
Sidney Rigdon was excommunicated as a Baptist minister on October 11, 1823, for teaching false doctrine, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He joined Alexander Campbell and Walter Scott to form the emerging Disciples of Christ. He was a Campbellite preacher until he "converted" to Mormonism in 1830. Rigdon was excommunicated in September 1844 he then organized a Church of Christ in Pa. In 1864 he organized a "Church of Jesus Christ of the Children of Zion"

Orson Hyde was also a Campbellite before "converting" to Mormonism

Parley Pratt converted to the "Reformed Baptist Society" (Campbellite) through the preaching of Sidney Rigdon and "converted" to mormonism in 1830

"This matter of 'Priesthood,' since the days of Sydney Rigdon, has been the great hobby and stumbling-block of the Latter Day Saints. Priesthood means authority; and authority is the word we should use. I do not think the word priesthood is mentioned in the New Covenant of the Book of Mormon. Authority is the word we used for the first two years in the church--until Sydney Rigdon's days in Ohio. This matter of the two orders of priesthood in the Church of Christ, and lineal priesthood of the old law being in the church, all originated in the mind of Sydney Rigdon. He explained these things to Brother Joseph in his way, out of the old Scriptures, and got Joseph to inquire, etc. He would inquire, and as mouthpiece speak out the revelations just as they had it fixed up in their hearts....according to the desires of the heart, the inspiration comes, but it may be the spirit of man that gives it.... This is the way the High Priests a! nd the 'priesthood' as you have it, was introduced into the Church of Christ almost two years after its beginning--and after we had baptized and confirmed about two thousand souls into the church." (An Address To All Believers In Christ, by David Whitmer p. 64)