Blaine:  The recent  (2000) discovery of the place Nahom in the Arabian Peninsula is strong evidence that the BoM is not a work of fiction.  See previous post.

  Also,  the BoM is consistent with known modes of thought, writing techniques, etc.,  used in ancient times.    If it were a work of fiction, it would not have these consistencies at all, or very few of them, no more than  by chance alone.

Here is one "consistency:"

Antithetical Parallelism in the Book of Mormon.

Antithetical parallelism is when one idea in a line or stanza is contrasted with an opposite or antithetical idea in a parallel line or stanza.
Example:  Proverbs 13:9
"The light of the righteous rejoiceth,
but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out."

Examples from the Book of Mormon:
 Alma 5:40
"Whatsoever is good, cometh from God, and whatsoever is evil, cometh from the devil.

Alma 9:28
"If they have been righteous
they shall reap the salvation of their souls,
according to the power and deliverance of Jesus Christ.
and if they have been evil
they shall reap- the damnation of their souls,
according to the power and captivation of the devil."

Alma 36:21
"Yea, I say unto you my son,
that there could be nothing so exquisite
and so bitter as were my pains.
Yea, and again I say unto you, my son,
that on the other hand,
there can be nothing so exquisite
and sweet as was my joy."

The use of this device in the BoM is, interestingly, exclusive to one writer--Alma.  If Joseph Smith had used this device as part of an attempt to make the BoM seem credulous, he would have inserted it throughout the book. Alma's exclusive use of this poetic device is consistent with the assertion that the BoM had multiple authors.