Bill wrote:
> You asked if I was familiar with John Wesley's
> Christian perfection. Yes, I am; however, I've
> never seen it presented in positive light, always
> through Reformed shades, which probably blurred
> my vision. Will you please explain your understanding
> of this term, Christian perfection -- define it
> and expand upon how it involves sanctification but
> not justification? Can a Christian lose his or her
> salvation, e.g., and if so how does that not affect
> one's justification? What do you mean when you use
> the terms justification and sanctification?

This is a big subject, so please let me point you to John Wesley's tract
on Christian Perfection.  You can find a copy of it at:

http://gbgm-umc.org/UMhistory/Wesley/perfect.html

These are the words of John Wesley himself.  Now, please understand that
I did not learn what I teach from John Wesley, and I cannot say that I
have even read every word in his little book on Christian Perfection,
but I can say that what I have read accords very closely with my
understanding.  Therefore, reading Wesley on this subject will help you
understand me much better.

Justification is right standing before God.  It refers to our being free
from the penalty of sin.  When we are justified before God, we are like
a prisoner who has received a pardon and has the affection and care of
our Lord.

Sanctification is the equivalent of Christian Perfection, and it refers
to our being set apart by the work of Christ to live holy and
unblameable in deed and in truth.  It refers to our continued walk,
growing brighter and brighter, unto the perfect day.  If a Christian
were to stumble, he might fall from sanctification but not
justification. His restoration might involve sanctification and
fellowship but not justification.

Some holiness groups make a big deal about there being a second work of
grace called Sanctification.  I don't object to this viewpoint, but I
rarely stress it as such myself.  I perceive justification and
sanctification as closely related to each other, sanctification stemming
from justification.  Because I see sanctification as something that
ought to immediately be enjoined by those who are justified, I generally
don't teach it as a "second work of grace."  Nevertheless, I must say
that I have been tempted to at times when I meet believers who seem
insecure about their own faith.  Sometimes when I teach that in Christ
there is no sin and that those who are in Christ live like he did, some
Christians get insecure and defensive as if I were challenging their own
experience of salvation and their justification before God.

Some other terms that are helpful to answering another one of your
questions:

Backsliding would be a Christian who falls into sin, but not a sin unto
death.  A backslider is corrected and trained, but not excommunicated.
A backslidden Christian would not be cast out of the family of God
anymore than a child would be cast out of his family for disobeying his
parents.  Nevertheless, if children continue in rebellion and become
incorrigible, then the law commands them to be brought before the elders
and stoned to death.  In the same way, continued backsliding can cause a
Christian to apostatize from the faith.

Apostasy would be a Christian who commits a sin unto death, which
involves blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.  Such a person would be like
Esau, who could not find repentance, though he sought it with tears.  He
would be like Judas Iscariot, who tasted the truth, but chose the path
of iniquity instead.

I hope these definitions will help as we discuss further on this
subject.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.