There are no trained advocates I know of in VA. There is one woman in VA who is working in DC to change the laws. She focuses on Military families.
Giftings are to know the system and be trained in how to fight it effectively and legally. You do not need to be a speaker, most work is done one on one, or two on one in the case of a husband and wife. It is helpful to have paralegal skills, but not necessary. It is also, IMO, a must to get trained. Advocates must know what they're doing, or they can really cause serious damage. I've had to do a ton of damage control on many cases due to someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Kay

 -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Judy Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, 19 October, 2004 08.04
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] 4th Commandment

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:54:48 -0400 "Slade Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
My laundry is pretty intimidating as well. The washing machine runs on a daily basis, except for Sabbath!
I have a schedule I pretty much stick to in order to get everything done that needs to be done. Slade also pitches in to help.
I advocate for family rights. I'm the only trained advocate in our state, which is the point of putting on the training seminar.
I am not paid for my services. Kay

Judyt:
I hear you re washing machine, when our daughter and family come ours seems to be going day and night also.
Do you know anything about family rights advocates in VA?  and what giftings are necessary to do what you do?
Does one need to be a good speaker and a Paralegal? or is it more like comforting the broken hearted and helping
to share their burden?  jt