Good post  ---  but I believe I have the book AND the glossary.  JD

In a message dated 1/11/2005 3:09:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The Oneness of YHVH vs. Plurality

One of the greatest arguments against the concept of the deity of Messiah is that YHVH is an absolute ONE. With this concept, there is no room for the Ruach haKodesh[1] or Messiah[2] as being YHVH as well. The Antimissionary movement uses this argument to ward against the validity of Christianity and the Brit Hadasha[3]. In this instance, the tactics and arguments used by Antimissionaries and those who do not believe in the deity of Messiah are the same. However, the Anti-deity people do not seem to realize their points discredit the very foundation of their faith.

Defining Echad As Plurality

Devarim[4] 6:4, the watchword of the faith, tells us â<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">YHVH<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, Eloheinu[5]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> [our Elohim]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, YHVH is one.â The Hebrew word used for <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">one is echad. People love to quote teachers who tell us echad means a unity. However, it does not always mean a unity; nor, it does not always mean a singularity either. We must carefully address the context of the passage or sentence in order to determine if echad is declaring a unity or a singularity. In Bereshit[7] 1:5, 2:24, and 11:6 provides three examples where echad is a unity, as opposed to a singularity. For instance, in Bereshit 1:5, one morning and one evening constitutes one day. In Bereshit 2:24, a woman and one man create one flesh; meanwhile in Bereshit 11:6, the whole of humanity is considered one people. As shown, in all three examples given, the idea of completion or the coming-together can be easily seen.

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Elohim<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> and was morning<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, one [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> day. (Bereshit 1:5)

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and cling to his wife<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">; and they shall become one [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> flesh. (Bereshit 2:24)

In Malakhi 2:13-16, we see a wretched priesthood who is grievously sinning. The people were not learning the ways of YHVH from the very ones who were to be examples. The phrase she is thy companion used in verse 14 in the KJV really should be translated she is thy joining, indicating that the covenant of marriage does indeed make a man and a woman echad. Refer also to Ephesians 5:28-29 & 33, 1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 1 Corinthians 6:15-17, and 2 Corinthians 3:17.

Further in the Ephesians text, Shaul of Tarsus compares the joining of a man and his wife and the love and fear expected in that relationship with the Messiah and the Ekklesia (Ephesians 5:30-33). See also Yochanan 10:22-33, 17:20-23,

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">And YHVH<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> said, âSee, the people are (singular)<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> one [echad],<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> and their tongue is one to all of them. And this is what they are beginning to do, and now nothing will be impossible for them all which they purpose to do. (Bereshit 11:6)

The concept of more than one being defined as one is a readily accepted principle. In the United States of America, people were once taught the Pledge of Allegiance, which contains the phrase ââo<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">ne nation, under God<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, indivisibleââ This concept is not too hard to grasp.

To continue with this thought, Shemot[8] 26:1-1-6 gives us an overview of the building of the Mishkan[9]. The inner or lower section is constructed of 10 linen curtains. The curtains are held together with 50 gold clasps. Once together, the 10 curtains are called echad Mishkan. (Shemot 13:13)

The outer or upper section (Shemot 26:7-13) is called the tent. It is constructed out of 11 curtains of goat hair. These are held together by 50 bronze clasps and, as a unit, they are also called echad tent.[10] Additionally, the two large curtains together are called echad Mishkan. (Shemot 36:14-8)

In the Greek Brit Hadasha, we have a Hebraic perspective âone.â In Revelation 21:9-11, the Bride is introduced to Yochanan the Prophet, but in verse, the prophet is shown a city coming down out of Heaven. However, in many Scriptures, the Bride of Messiah is the community of believers (Revelation 19:7-8, 18:23). Therefore, the Bride, New Yerushalayim, and the Believers are echad.

Defining Echad As Singular

Meanwhile, Bereshit 2:21 and 4:19 are but two of many examples that demonstrate the concept of echad being a singularity. However, in most instances, echad is used when a single unit from multiple choices is delineated. For example, one rib is taken from a choice of 22 to 26 ribs, or one wife of several:

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">And YHVH<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> Elohim<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> caused a deep sleep to fall on the man, and he slept; and He took one [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> from his ribs<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> and closed up the flesh under the place. (Bereshit 2:21)

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">And Lemekh[11]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> took to himself two wives<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">: the name of the first [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> was Adah<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, and the name of the other, was Tzilah[12]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">. (Bereshit 4:19)

Undefined Echadim[13]

In the case of Devarim 6:4 and Bereshit 3:22, the meaning of the Hebrew word echad is unknown since the context does not give us the privilege of knowing the absolute definition of the word.

â<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Hear, O Yisrael[14]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">! YHVH<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> Eloheinu<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, YHVH is one [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">!â (Devarim 6:4)

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">And YHVH<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> Elohim<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> said, âSee, the man has become as one [echad]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> of Us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he stretch forth his hand, and take also from the tree of life<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">, and eat, and live foreverââ (Bereshit 3:22)

Interestingly, the Shema (Devarim 6:4) contains no verbs. It merely says âHear Yisrael, YHVH our-God YHVH one.â Without the use of verbs, one could surmise the Shema as being a commandment. The command would be that we are to be echad with YHVH Eloheinu.

[1] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Holy Spirit

[2] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Christ

[3] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The New (Renewed) Testament

[4] Heb. Words; <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Book of Deuteronomy

[5] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Our God

[6] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">God

[7] Heb. In the Beginning; <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Book of Genesis

[8] Heb. The book of Exodus

[9] Heb. The Tabernacle

[10] A Midrash can be pulled from the lower curtains and the upper tent of the Mishkan. The inner ten curtains represent the Ten Words given in Shemot 20:2-17), the 11 outer curtains represent the 11 Wordsâ the original Ten plus the New or Eleventh Commandment given by Yeshua: That you love one for another as I have loved you, that you also love one another (Yochanan 13:34-35). The Ruach haKodesh binds us together in like manner as the clasps in the Mishkan.

[11] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Lamech

[12] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Zillah

[13] Heb. Best translated as â<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Onesâ

[14] Heb. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Israel