Well Judy, I just said that you were mean. your first response to Greg is exactly what I meant.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 11:21
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Good News!

Good Morning Gregory and welcome to TT:
You write:

    One of the most consistently frustrating things about Christians is that we seem far more keen on making sure everyone around us is properly beat over the head with the truth, often with bile and anger, than in living out the life exemplified by Christ, with mercy and love.

Do you perceive that this goes on here Gregory?  That is, beating people over the head with truth accompanied with bile and anger?  yes judy, you!

Look at the beatitudes.  Truth is important, but it comes to people who have ears to hear.   Our job is less to demand that they see the truth, than to LIVE the truth.  The great saints down through history saw this as job one - becoming like Christ inside, so that their lives radiated his love and wisdom.

How does one LIVE the truth on an internet list Gregory?  How is one to radiate this love and wisdom by email other than through words.  Actually what is in a person's heart ultimately becomes evident because it proceeds out of the mouth/through the keyboard. Judging the motives of others is also an ungodly trait and a lot of that goes on here. by following a different example than the one Judy shows.

    James was very clear that wisdom is linked to love and holiness:  "Who is wise and understanding among you?  Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.. . . "

Yes and James also defines the two kinds of wisdom it is possible to walk in "that which comes from above and is pure and peaceable and full of good fruit or that which is earthly sensual and demonic" I'm sure you will find some of both on TT if you stay long enough.

    The entire book of Jamesis a rebuke to those who think KNOWING the truth is more important than DOING the truth.  And the second course of the meal is Phillipians, where radiating the love which only comes from devotion to Christ is preeminent, not how well we have become little truth Nazis.

IYO Gregory does loving God's Word make one a little "truth Nazi?"
When its from the judy taylor school of theology.
Then, the third course is I John, where the topic is brought to a supreme and sublime offering unequaled in any book ever written, in my opinion.  When we stand in front of the dread judgment seat, the test is not how well we shoved every abstruse point of theology down the throats of the ignorant, but how we lived the great truths we already know, and taught the others with mercy and peace, so as to edify the listener, not stir up emnity.

True, but if you will note the experience of God's messengers of truth through scripture Gregory you will see how their message always stirred up emnity and strive.  God's people killed his prophets and everywhere Paul and Silas went there were riots.  Jesus Himself had to hide out and pass through at least one crowd who wanted to throw him off a cliff (a crowd of God's covenant people no less).  I'm as against "abstruse theology" as anyone and am aware that the servant of the Lord must not strive. However, this is an open list full of professing believers .... who love God and it follows that they should also love His Word.  Do you have a problem with that?    jht
judy, do you have a problem with being civil?
Jeff

Life makes warriors of us all.
To emerge the victors, we must arm
ourselves with the most potent of weapons.
That weapon is prayer.
--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Slade, my heart is not to demean anyone and I don't know what you mean by "piss and vinegar" as this term
is not in my vocabulary.  Please explain to me how scripture and history demeans people.  Are you thinking
that Messiah maybe softened things up a little to keep from hurting people's feelings?  judyt