From: David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Sent: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:51:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] corrector/revisor

John wrote:
> Do you see that you argue for not knowing
> while using a example you believe illustrates
> that you do, in fact, know?

I do in fact know.  My argument is not that I don't know or that none of us
know, but rather that based upon what is written in that one verse, we don't
know.  My point is about proper exegesis.  Do you understand what I am
saying?

John wrote:
> But, back to the 10:14 question  --   I do not
> think it fair to illustrate  a question about an
> action with a comment about an emotion.
> Plug in a couple of definitions and see what you
> get.   I am being happy  ( I am experiencing joy
> and pleasure) compared to "I am being made holy."

Well, you do have a good point here.  An emotion is different than
sanctification, so I concede that my analogy was poor in this regard.  Let's
is sanctified."  Should it be this, or should it be, "Jesus is being
sanctified"?

Would you agree with Gary that Christ's sanctification is incomplete and
transitory?

John wrote:
> Do you believe that "sanctification" implies becoming
> something that was not previously the case, in our case?

Yes.

John wrote:
> "Made or make" is an integral aspect of "set apart,
> holy."  Separate one from the other and you do not
> have the definition of "sanctification."

I'm not in complete agreement with this.  Sanctification is not a process
per se, but there is a state of being sanctified once one is sanctified.
:-)

John wrote:
> In the biblical message,  we are set apart in the
> sense that we made holy.   As I see it,  the present
> tense AND the passive voice demand the reading
> "being made holy.'

I think the problem here is being dogmatic about how many first year text
books define the present tense.

Most of the instruction for first year students involves trying to help them
understand the aorist tense, a tense which we do not have in English.  To
accomplish this, teachers generally try to get students to understand the
type of action defined by the aorist tense, as opposed to the present tense.
So the teaching goes along the lines of how the aorist tense describes
action that is simple and punctiliar, as opposed to the present tense, which
defines the action as continuous and repeated.  This is simply a guideline
for general approach for the beginning student.  As students become more
familiar with Greek and read it on their own, it does not take long for them
to find examples where this rule does not hold true.  The truth is that
there is a broad range of semantic meaning for any particular syntax that
one might consider.  While sometimes a knowledge of Greek helps us get
confirmation or refutation of a particular idea, in many cases it does not.
Case in point, in this particular situation, I think you and Bill Taylor are
over-emphasizing certain basic rules of Greek interpretation, trying to make
an air tight case where there is none.  This is one of those situations
where a little knowledge of Greek can be more dangerous than no knowledge of
Greek.

Now going back to your translation here, "being made holy."  You have
introduced a new verb which does not exist in the Greek.  I'm talking about
your insertion of the word "made."  It is one thing for you to be wanting to
force the view that present tense always indicates continuous, repeated
action.  It is quite another to insist on adding a new verb.  Who else do
you know who translates it this way except you?  The Bible in Basic English
actually add the word "made" too, but they omit the word "being" so it does
not read like yours.

Some other translations for your consideration:

Heb 10:14
(ALT) For by one offering He has perfected for all time the ones being
sanctified.
(ASV) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are
sanctified.
(BBE) Because by one offering he has made complete for ever those who are
made holy.
(Bishops) For with one offeryng hath he made perfite for euer them that are
sanctified.
(CEV) By his one sacrifice he has forever set free from sin the people he
brings to God.
(DRB) For by one oblation he hath perfected for ever them that are
sanctified.
(EMTV) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being
sanctified.
(ESV) For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are
being sanctified.
(GB) For with one offering hath he consecrated for euer them that are
sanctified.
(Geneva) For with one offering hath he consecrated for euer them that are
sanctified.
(GNB) With one sacrifice, then, he has made perfect forever those who are
purified from sin.
(GW) With one sacrifice he accomplished the work of setting them apart for
God forever.
(HCSB) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are
sanctified.
(HNV) For by one offering he has perfected forever those who are being
sanctified.
(ISV) For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are
being sanctified.
(KJV) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are
sanctified.
(KJV-1611) For by one offering hee hath perfected for euer them that are
sanctified.
(KJVA) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are
sanctified.
(KJVR) For by one offering he hath perfected forever them that are
sanctified.
(LITV) For by one offering He has perfected in perpetuity the ones being
sanctified.
(MKJV) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are
sanctified.
(MRC) For by one offering He has brought to the goal perpetually for all
time those who are sanctified.
(MSG) It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very
imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to
be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process.
(Murdock) For by one offering, he hath perfected for ever, them who are
sanctified by him.
(NASB) For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are
sanctified.
(WEB) For by one offering he has perfected forever those who are being
sanctified.
(Webster) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are
sanctified.
(WNT) For by a single offering He has for ever completed the blessing for
those whom He is setting free from sin.
(YLT) for by one offering he hath perfected to the end those sanctified;