Apollo wrote Hebrews with the help of Phred.  I have never read Mrak.  Is he one of them minor 'postles?  :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The job of the apostles was not to write the Bible,  Matthew, Mrak (probably under the supervision of the Apostle Peter),   John's gospel and letters,  Paul's authorship including Hebrews,  James,   and (perhaps) Titus author all of the NT books except three   (Luke/Acts and Jude)  !!!!   and the apostles did not suddenly disappear once the Bible was "complete."  The recording of "scripture" ended with the death of John.   Coincidence?   I think not.    Most of the apostles left us no Scripture at all, including the chief apostle, Jesus Christ himself. true.   And I am not saying that they all did.     But, if we were to delete Luke/Acts and Jude,  we would still have all of NT teaching  -   and all of it done by or under the tutelage of the apostles.

 Most authors of the Bible were not apostles.  We have Matthew, John, Paul, Peter and James writing 23 books and three writers authoring 4 books.  It is doubtful that James the Lord's brother was an apostle  and yet, 21 lines from now (not counting salutations and headings) you argue for the apostleship of James  !!  and Jude the Lord's brother probably was not either.  The author below did not comment on Mark that author thought DM was aware of the opinion of many that Peter supervised the writing of Mark and gave Mark most of his information -  since Mark was not around Christ as far we any of us know or this other Jude Jude was , indeed, an oversight but my point remains as restated above  when he says, "with this group of men, we have the writings of all the NT scripture..."&n bsp; Then the author here casts modern day theologians into prophets? Such could not be further from the truth. The theologians of today are more analogous to the scribes of Jesus day.  Think about it.
"Prophet" as in apostles and prophets, the foundation of the household of God  (Eph 2:20) can have one of [at least] two meanings.   The first, a prophet as one who predicts the future and the second, as one who reveals or explains the revelation of God.   I think the later notion gives us a better fit, the apostles loose and bind, present revelation and the prophet (for all ages) continues to illuminate this revelation.   I can't insist on this idea as excathedra, but I can certainly teach it.   The effect of this teaching is important.   If one is a prophet,  has the ability to present and explain and excite the mind of the student and he/she does not   ---------------   what does that mean for them personally?    If Bill Taylor, for example,  is gifted with the ability to tie Chruch history and the Revelation of the written word and the reality of the Living Christ together into something that is a t least understood by the evangelist, the pastor, the teacher and he decides to do something else  --  well,  how should he view his stewardship  of the gift given?

And then there is the false assertion that all the miracles of the NT were performed by Jesus or one of the apostles.  Let's look at what John actually said, shall we:  The apostles were charged  with world mission, binding and loosing and the performace of miracles as an extension (in the Spirit) of who they were.  All the recorded miracles of the NT scripture are performed by Jesus or one of the apostles.  The phrase "as an extension of who they were" is very important to me.   All of what was promised in Mark 16: applies to the apostles.    Peter could walk by and people were healed.   Paul could be hung on the wall of a   jail cell, knowing all the while that God had placed his opponents into his hands  - that he would be the victor.   Stephen is an exceptional case.  He is singled out in scripture as being full o f faith and the Spirit and power.  I certainly do not beleive that miracles ended with the passing of the apostles !!   God continues to use men and women to this day to accomplish even the miraculous  -  it is a gift, one of many.   But I do not believe in "faith healers."   And why?   Because I believe  that only the apostles could do such things by way of ministry  assignment , as a result of who they were and not  just how they were gifted.   The apostles were the complete package.

There is no reason to believe that they continued beyond the first century (except, perhaps, John).

  Consider Ananais who brought sight back to Saul and imparted to him the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and Stephen who did many miracles among the people, as did the evangelist Philip, preaching in Samaria.

Following is something I wrote about apostles and prophets back in 1992.  Although dated, perhaps it will help you in your thinking about apostles and prophets.

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] apostles and prophets

Within the church ,  God has placed apostles, prophets,  evangelists, pastors and teacher.  There collective ministries are given a threefold purpose, but the specifics of each functionary  is unique and even exclusive.

The apostles and prophets are   a case in point.   They are a part of those named in Eph 4:11 ff while , at the same time,  considered apart from the remaining categories (evangelists, pastors and teachers).  It is the apostles and prophets who are the foundation of the "household of God"  (Eph 2:20.)   Because they are named as the foundation of the Church,  we can be confident that their ministries compliment each other.

The apostles are given an identify -- the "12"  --  while, in fact, their numbers include the original 12, Matthias, Paul, Barnabas, James the brother of Jesus, and arguably Apollos, Silvanus and Titus.   With this group of men, we have the writings of all NT scripture except the historical record of Luke  (Luke/Acts).  most of the time cute little rich girls are spoiled pagans.
> Do you
> > know of one cute little rich girl celebrity who
> > is a "steadfast" believer in the Lord Jesus Christ?  If not then
> this is
> > not a description of Linda.
Their counterpart is the prophet.   Whereas the apostles were given to the First Church, the prophets continue with the church throughout the ages.  It is not the prophets work to continue the addition of scripture.   That work was completed with the apostles.  The scriptures were finished with the passing of the apostles.  In time, the Church Catholic was challenged to identify those scriptures and,  with the providential consideration of God,  the Bible was the result.   The prophet, named as a part of the foundation of the church  (Eph 2:20) is, in reality,   those we commonly refer to as  "theologian."   He is the one who continues the work of the apostle as he illuminates the message, keeping the biblical message at center stage and fresh for each new era within the church.  People like Athanasuius,  Eusebias, Origen, Tertullian, Calvin, Luther,  Barth are prophets to the Church Catholic while others,  less catholic in function,  add to this illuminary function, men like Wesley,   Torrance, NT Wright,  and, finally, those who have read and are acquainted with the above and have a  good working knowledge of the written word, people like Debbie Sawczak, Bill Taylor,  Victor Shepherd,  Jon Hughs and the like.   It is the prophet that keeps the word alive and helps to keep us centered on the Christ.

The evangelist, pastor and teacher benefit from these prophets and give their (the prophets) conributions meaning to those within the church  who have a better understanding of the common man and his language.   And, so , the church at all levels is benefited, edified, regenerated with the living word without adding more and more scripture and bigger and better phenom.   A truly divine arrangement.

jd